zumba

Options
I recently started taking a Zumba class, very high intensity latin dance workout. I just don't know how to count this for exercise calories burned. it is an hour class and it is now stop work out. Any suggestions? :

Replies

• Lorrie618
    Options
    I recently started taking a Zumba class, very high intensity latin dance workout. I just don't know how to count this for exercise calories burned. it is an hour class and it is now stop work out. Any suggestions? :
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I looked - I take it to - the minimum for an hour was 500 calories. Others have burned somewhere in the 700s and 800s... I had to do some research, and none of it was based on my body type...
  • jsmall
    jsmall Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started the same class on Saturday. I reported it as Dance/Aerobic.
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I take a similar class and list it as genreal aerobics. The best thing to do, according to the ppl at the gym and the ppl on this site, is to get a heart rate monitor. That way your body type/ build will be taken into account and you'll get a more accurate count of calories burned
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    has anyone reading this taken the class wearing an HRM??

Someone of similar body and age could give you a good idea.

This is why I love my F6 HRM> No doubt, I know how much I burned.

:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    has anyone reading this taken the class wearing an HRM??

Someone of similar body and age could give you a good idea.

This is why I love my F6 HRM> No doubt, I know how much I burned.

:flowerforyou:

I have a zumba class I could do and an HRM, but I'm too afraid to go--- I don't want to make a fool out of myself on the floor! :embarassed:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i do zumba and i wear my HRM:wink: im 216 pounds and i burn around 700-750 per hour class.... hope it helps :)
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Im 273 lbs and I burn anywhere between 800 to 900 a class depending on how hard I actually do the class.

Connie
  • Lorrie618
    Options
    Thank you very much for your input.

Lauryn, you should try it. It is fun, a good work out and nobody will judge you because eveyrone is too interested in looking at themselves to see if they are doing it right. There are all ages and sizes in my class. I did not have time to see what everyone else was doing, concentrating too hard to try to do it myself. But it was a great work out.
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I did a Zumba class this past Saturday and my HRM read 480 at the end of the class, but I had burned at least 100 on the eliptical before the class started. So I only burned about 380-400 calories.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba...

I weigh 176 and I burn about 600 -650 calories in my hour long class... of course, I'm crazy and I do it pretty high intensity, but it's a great workout and SO FUN at the same time!
  • imdawn
    imdawn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a dvd for this on tv once?? I live in a small town and there isn't a class around here like that! But I would LOVE to try it!!! Is it the same as that video???
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and our rec center is the one that offers it. They do make dvds of it also. Just google it online and you will find it. I also saw a commercial for a different dvd set that was from 2 ballroom dancers. I forgot the name of it but it looked like fun. I was on the ellipitcal when I saw it with my ipod on so I wasnt listening to it.

Connie
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Lauryn, you should try it. It is fun, a good work out and nobody will judge you because eveyrone is too interested in looking at themselves to see if they are doing it right. There are all ages and sizes in my class. I did not have time to see what everyone else was doing, concentrating too hard to try to do it myself. But it was a great work out.

Alright, alright. I took someones urging before to do Pilates and I :heart: that now, so I'm taking the plunge.
    I am going to zumba tomorrow!!
    I'll let you all know what my HRM reads (I'm 27, 5'4'', 163lbs).
    (WOW:noway: , I'm 163lbs. That looks insane to write. I still think I'm in the 170s or 180s, I guess....)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Alright, alright. I took someones urging before to do Pilates and I :heart: that now, so I'm taking the plunge.
    I am going to zumba tomorrow!!
    I'll let you all know what my HRM reads (I'm 27, 5'4'', 163lbs).
    (WOW:noway: , I'm 163lbs. That looks insane to write. I still think I'm in the 170s or 180s, I guess....)

45 minute class
    402 calories
    I would say I worked at a low to medium intensity, not high for sure.

Zumba, how I love thee! (Even though I had no rhythm)

And, of course, the instructor says she won't be able to teach in the months of November and December, but will resume in January. :sad: