How did you do it?!

Options
Okay, I was wondering if the people on here who have gotten to their goal weight would share their stories. How long did it take? What was the hardest part? etc. Thanks :]

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have lost 110 pounds and have about 10 more I want to lose. Here's my story...

I started trying to lose weight in November 2005 (after my mom's heart attack death at the age of 47). I weighed 245 pounds then, down from my all time high of 260. I started out journaling my food in a notebook. I found that I didn't want to have to write down something "bad," so I tried not to eat it. I also upped my water intake (now averaging 96 oz /day). I started walking several times a week with my husband and son. I got down to 218 before I got pregnant with my second child in October of 2006.

Jump ahead to June 2007. I had my daughter. I weighed 240 pounds when I had her. I added in more cardio, especially exercise videos like Walk Away the Pounds, the first Biggest Loser dvd, and Turbo Jam. I made sure to eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies each day, aim for lowfat dairies, lean meats, and had fun taking recipes and making them healthier. While I wasn't counting calories, I had a rough idea of how much I was eating. I got down to 180 pounds by May 2008. Surprise pregnancy.

Jump to January of 2009. I weighed 220 pounds when I had my second son. I added in 30 Day Shred, more Turbo Jam, some Billy Blanks, some Gilad, more walking, exercise bike, and treadmill. I eventually started running (June 2009). I made sure to eat whole grains, eat pretty cleanly, but I always had treats here and there. I continued that until January 2010 when I got down to 150-155 pounds. I have been "stuck" there ever since, but I also have had lots of sinus issues. (I'm having surgery for that tomorrow).

I have run several 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon. I have completed ChaLean Extreme and a hybrid of CLX and Turbo Fire. I do other videos and use the treadmill occasionally. I count calories at times, but I know I need to do that more to break through this plateau.

Whew...that was a lot! I hope it all makes sense. :smile:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    The hardest part is being so close to my goal and not getting there. I know I really need to work hard, but like I said, these sinus issues have been putting me down. I really hope after surgery I get back my motivation, drive, and energy!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Amy_B thank you for sharing!!!! I know you'll get there - health stuff can really mess with us!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy helped 80 % and exercise helped other 20 %. MFP helped 100 % and is helping me stay on track. If I had to say ONE weight loss secret, its this website haha!
    Also, signing up for a race!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Amy_B thank you for sharing!!!! I know you'll get there - health stuff can really mess with us!
    Thanks!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    bumping for more replies
  • ThePinkPanther83
    ThePinkPanther83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    18 months. The hard part was avoiding all the fad diets.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    Wow! These stories are great guys!!! :] Congrats!
  • Leish81
    Leish81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the tried and true story of yo-yo dieting. Growing up, I was never taught how to cook and better yet, I wasn't taught how to eat. Carbs became my best friend and so did the pounds that came along with them. Fast forward to my 21st birthday, well 3 days after, I got married... When I got my wedding photos back I cried. The next week I was in a Weight Watchers meeting. WW helped me with my journey of losing 75 lbs. My marriage was turning worse and food was my comfort again. I gained back 20 lbs. I was never a big alcohol drinker, I ate instead. Back to WW I went and some of the weight came off. Divorce was imminent and my weight flew off my body. In 2 months I lost 25 lbs and was WAY WAY WAY too skinny. But I was stressed beyond belief. (My divorce was one of the worst most people have seen and took 4 years.) A few boyfriends later, I started dating a wonderful man. A friend of (at that time) 11 years. 10 happy pounds came back within 2 months. Four months after we started dating I regained control but lost them by eating way too little. I stayed the same weight, plus or minus a few pounds, for the next 2 years. The Army moved him to Korea. Since I was still dealing with my divorce, I could not live with him. I ended up taking a job as an English Teacher in Korea. Loneliness and my BF working all the time led me to start eating again.

Happy days are here again. =) I got married to a wonderful man in March. But by that time I had gained 25 lbs since October. OUCH!!! At the end of April he and I went on a new healthy lifestyle together and now I am 20 lbs down. I was 23 lbs down 3 weeks ago. And that is why I am back to MFP. I felt like I was starting to not lose control but be less in control. Now is the time for me to lose the last 10 lbs.

But I will say, that you must be ready to take care of yourself before you can lose weight. My life is wonderful now and I am so in love with my husband. Finally, I was able to eat healthy for a life style change and not just "to lose weight". It doesn't work if your not in it for the long run!!!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy helped 80 % and exercise helped other 20 %. MFP helped 100 % and is helping me stay on track. If I had to say ONE weight loss secret, its this website haha!
    Also, signing up for a race!

Me too.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have lost 110 pounds and have about 10 more I want to lose. Here's my story...

I started trying to lose weight in November 2005 (after my mom's heart attack death at the age of 47). I weighed 245 pounds then, down from my all time high of 260. I started out journaling my food in a notebook. I found that I didn't want to have to write down something "bad," so I tried not to eat it. I also upped my water intake (now averaging 96 oz /day). I started walking several times a week with my husband and son. I got down to 218 before I got pregnant with my second child in October of 2006.

Jump ahead to June 2007. I had my daughter. I weighed 240 pounds when I had her. I added in more cardio, especially exercise videos like Walk Away the Pounds, the first Biggest Loser dvd, and Turbo Jam. I made sure to eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies each day, aim for lowfat dairies, lean meats, and had fun taking recipes and making them healthier. While I wasn't counting calories, I had a rough idea of how much I was eating. I got down to 180 pounds by May 2008. Surprise pregnancy.

Jump to January of 2009. I weighed 220 pounds when I had my second son. I added in 30 Day Shred, more Turbo Jam, some Billy Blanks, some Gilad, more walking, exercise bike, and treadmill. I eventually started running (June 2009). I made sure to eat whole grains, eat pretty cleanly, but I always had treats here and there. I continued that until January 2010 when I got down to 150-155 pounds. I have been "stuck" there ever since, but I also have had lots of sinus issues. (I'm having surgery for that tomorrow).

I have run several 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon. I have completed ChaLean Extreme and a hybrid of CLX and Turbo Fire. I do other videos and use the treadmill occasionally. I count calories at times, but I know I need to do that more to break through this plateau.

Whew...that was a lot! I hope it all makes sense. :smile:

You are a real inspiration. Doing all of this with 3 little ones at home and still doing it right. Your story made my eyes tear up! Thanks for sharing this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!