Running shoes for knee support

Options
I am interested in getting some new shoes. I find that my knees are getting swollen from running, so any ideas on some runners that are good for the knees?

Replies

• tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good running store near you. We have a place where they actually watch you run analyzes it and figures out which shoes are the best all for free. It's pretty nice
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good running store near you. We have a place where they actually watch you run analyzes it and figures out which shoes are the best all for free. It's pretty nice

Well worth your time......Find one in your area.
  • balconywriternb
    Options
    You might also wanna consider running with Mueller Jumper's Knee Straps. You can buy them on amazon. My knees used to swell up after I ran more than a mile, but once I put the jumper straps on I run without any problems.
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    your gait will be different and depending on your stride, if you pronate, suppinate, or have a neutral stide, heel strike, mileage, knee/ankle issues and another few items will make picking out the right shoe.

Places such as Road Runner Sports http://www.roadrunnersports.com might have a store near you. A serious running store will be able to get you fitted for the right shoe for your running needs, either with video or personal gait assessment.

I've been in Saucony Hurricanes since they were at Hurricane 7. great shoe that fits my running, body style and activity level. Find the shoe that does the same for you and buy it forever.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Highly suggest going to the store and getting analyzed. I use to get shin splints badly and got analyzed and haven't had them since. You may have to pay more for the shoes but it will be well worth it. You may also consider going to the Dr about your knee cause it may be something more serious. Swelling is not normal even after running. Mine swells too and it turns out I have patella fibromyalgia. I played volleyball for 15 years and this is a result of it. My ortho eliminated a few moves and put me on glucosamine and it has made a serious difference and I think my knee is on its way back to normal. Had I not waited so long to go to the Dr I probably would have caught it long before it became such a serious issue.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    You might also want to go to a chiropractor to see if your pelvis is tilted or rotated to one side. This will throw *everything* off - down to your feet and up to your neck.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You might also want to go to a chiropractor to see if your pelvis is tilted or rotated to one side. This will throw *everything* off - down to your feet and up to your neck.
    This is so true and if you find a great chiropractor, like I have, he/she will know things about the knees, ankles, shoulders, hands, wrists, everything, not just your spine.

Also, as said above, go find a store that has does gait analyzing. They are wonderful and will help you find the right shoe for you. Plus, you can always take the advice they give you on the shoes, then tell them thank you and do some research to see if you can find the shoes cheaper elsewhere.
  • cassandraemily
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help! I am going to hit the running room tonight and do the shoe test they preform. Good tips everyone!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    definitely get your gait analysed professionally and choose shoes according to that. You may also need extra arch support and more cushioning from your shoe.

maybe a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement too for your joints and cod liver oil.