Help I have a Question

Options
I own and operate a residential cleaning service, M-F and I need to know do I count that as exercise?
On average I clean homes that take me 4 hours of non-stop cleaning, up, down, on knees, wiping and vac/mopping. I am faster than average cleaners so I am literally moving for the whole time I am there. In case your wondering I have been doing it so long my body is not even impressed with that happening daily:(

I don't want to count it as heaving cleaning if I should not, as my body shows I have no problem over eating..lol

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Look at your goals, and set your lifestyle to show that you do the physical labor. Then add other exercise as extra when you do it. Eg. you have a goal of exercise 30 min 4x a week in addition to the physically active lifestyle.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I would just set my activity level to active. That should adjust for it.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your normal routine, no you do not count them =)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When setting your profile set it as active and you should have no problems. The calorie intake will be calculated to reflect your lifestyle.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I would just set my activity level to active. That should adjust for it.

this, or even "very active"...that is what I have to use for work to get my TDEE to come out right....
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as exercise at all. I work outdoors, walking sometimes for hours everyday, tromping up and down hills, and I don't count it because we tend to pace ourselves so that we can get our work done, so it just becomes part of the "normal" of our daily life.
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cleaning where I work and even at home. I recently purchased a HRM (and I love it!). I started putting on my HRM while cleaning to see how many I burned. I only count the Calories that I burn when I am doing something outside of my normal routine. So, if I am intending to count it as exercise then I track it. If it is something like doing the dished and laundry (things I do daily) I do not count them, but when I do my weekly cleaning (scrubbing showers and toilets) then I track it and count it.

I agree with most of the previous posts that you should adjust your activity and goals. I also think everyone should look into getting a HRM. It has really changed my perspective of Calories burned.