Gardening Isn't Exercise?

suzooz
suzooz Posts: 720 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I have some leg muscles that would disagree with you! I am so stiff from pulling weeds last night! I think I did way many more toe touches and lunges just to pull one more weed. I paid for it this morning.

And who needs resistance bands? I have a few weeds that will give you great resistance! If I could just master the "curl" format, I'm sure that I can be toned in no time.

And there's still a TON of work to do. . .

I'm heading out to do more exercise --- that is, if I don't get eaten alive by the mosquitos!

Replies

• I knw what you mean. Gardening, pulling weeds that is... is definitely a workout! go ahead, burn those calories :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    I thought that too until I wore my HRM one time! I burned TONS of calories doing it. It was more than just pulling weeds though, I was shoveling, etc. Weeds will still get your heart rate up though.
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    I log Gardening a lot for exercise, mostly because Gardening for me is just another name for yard work, including shoveling wheelbarrel loads of mulch, dirt, or compost, weeding, raking, and just about anything else you can think of - trust me, i am sweating, and I am sore after a long day of doing yard work - I have not yet worn a HRM, but I conservatively log calories burned. Either way, I am satisfied that I have done work!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Try digging the roots of running bamboo out of the lawn - got to be a great back strengthener!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Who said it wasn't?! They clearly have never done gardening before...
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    i log it to , but then i have a bad habit of letting it go to long (i get busy) then when i get time to do it, its a big job
  • beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    I TOTALLY AGREE I pulled weeds for an hour last weekend. I was SO SO sore, You would of thought I hadn't been exercising almost every day for that last 2 months. I felt it in my legs and butt. My legs are still sore. It's a MAJOR WORKOUT!!!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    It's official! It is exercise!

The Bodybugg said that I burned about 300 calories doing 75 minutes of gardening. Taking out the "normal" 80 calories / hour that I typically burn at rest, and I'm thinking that conservatively, it's about 200 calories of "burn." More importantly, I'm liking the "strength" aspect of this -- lots of lunges and arm "pulls". I know I will feel this in my legs and butt tomorrow!

The good news is that I filled another 2 bags of weeds. The bad news is that I have hardly made a dent in it! (Previous owners planted perennials, which often look like weeds to me. I hadn't done a thing for fear that I would pull a flower not a weed! I have finally decided just to take out what I don't like and plant something that I do.)

The good news is that I still have several more days' of workouts! Me vs. Nature? I think Nature is winning this one!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    My yard has benefited greatly from the exercise calories I've expended on it this year. I hate wasting my energy on non-productive exercise!
This discussion has been closed.