Cookout side dish recipes needed

Options
phoebe2488
phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
I am trying to figure out things to make for two cookout meals we have this weekend. Does anyone have any good low cal side dish recipes to go with turkey burgers and/or other cookout food? I am tired of making the same old thing. Thanks!

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies! Squash and zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. MMM!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like California salad

I don't have the recipe handy but its very flavorful and easy to make.
  • wanna_writemore
    Options
    Mark Bittman's apple slaw is great - it's available online: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html#Apple_Slaw

It's basically a mayo-free coleslaw; I use carrots instead of radishes. I took it to a cookout recently and people really liked it.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This morning, I posted a recipe for low calorie pretzel jello (only 108 calories). I took it to the last cookout that I went to and it was the first thing gone!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Tomatoes w/basil and Mozzarella cheese
    3 Bean Salad
    Cucumber Salad
    Zucchini and Tomatoes

Just wing it!!!
  • kearyespeer
    Options
    You could make some sort of whole wheat pasta salad! I like to get the rotini noodles and add a little olive oil and whatever vinegar you choose. Then, depending on what flavor you're going for, you add a few spices like mustard, dill, mint, whatever and the veggies like cherry tomatoes, olives, green onions. Then pick a coinciding cheese. I recently made a greek pasta salad with dill, feta, klamata olives, etc. but it's not for everyone. I like black olives, mustard, cherry tomatoes, parmesean, parsley, oregano, etc. as well. It's an easy thing to switch up with whatever is just in your fridge!
  • istykray
    istykray Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently learned of a WW recipe for Spinach Salad with Orzo - I'm hooked. Lightweight and yummy = goes great with turkey burgers.

Ingredients

2 cup(s) spinach, baby leaves, packed
    1/3 cup(s) uncooked orzo
    1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes, halved
    2 tsp white wine vinegar
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese

Instructions
    Place spinach in a serving bowl.

Bring a medium-size pot of water to a boil; stir in orzo. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes; drain well. Spoon hot orzo over spinach and toss to coat; let spinach wilt.

Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper to orzo; toss gently but well. Sprinkle with cheese; serve immediately. Yields about 1 cup per serving
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I really like mashed cauliflower or sweet potato fries. Other then that I like to steam veggies like broccoli or corn. If you need a recipe let me know. :)
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    3 Large Ear of Corn (Sweet), Raw & cut off cob

Red Onion, 1/2 cup chopped

1 Avocado-Small

Tomatoes (Cherry) - Cherry Tomatoes, 1 container (14 tomatoes ea.)

Fresh Squeezed - Lime Juice, 0.5 Lime

Fresh - Cilantro, 1/8 cup

Morton - Sea Salt, 1/2 teaspoon

1 tsp (or to taste) cumin or chipolte seasoning if you prefer more of a southwest flavor

Combine the corn, onion, avocado & tomatos together. In a small bowl mix the rest of the ingredients then pour over the corn mixture and stir. I make it the next before (if I remember) but its just as good same day.

Serves 4 168 calories per serving.
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This website has sooo many good ideas! and it list all the nutritional information!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html

Hope this helps!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    This is a seriously wonderful salad and gets LOTS of compliments when I make it -

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thai-noodle-salad-with-vegetables-spicy-peanut-sauce-10000000665550/
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Deviled Eggs...:devil:

Boiled eggs cut length wise
    Mash yolk add fat free or light Miracle Whip, a little mustard, Dill Relish, salt and pepper to taste.
    Fill egg and sprinkle with paprika
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I make potato salad with cauliflower instead of
    potato and lite mayo it is so good!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Mark Bittman's apple slaw is great - it's available online: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html#Apple_Slaw

It's basically a mayo-free coleslaw; I use carrots instead of radishes. I took it to a cookout recently and people really liked it.

Love Mark Bittman - this looks so fresh and yummy!! Thanks!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3 Large Ear of Corn (Sweet), Raw & cut off cob

Red Onion, 1/2 cup chopped

1 Avocado-Small

Tomatoes (Cherry) - Cherry Tomatoes, 1 container (14 tomatoes ea.)

Fresh Squeezed - Lime Juice, 0.5 Lime

Fresh - Cilantro, 1/8 cup

Morton - Sea Salt, 1/2 teaspoon

1 tsp (or to taste) cumin or chipolte seasoning if you prefer more of a southwest flavor

Combine the corn, onion, avocado & tomatos together. In a small bowl mix the rest of the ingredients then pour over the corn mixture and stir. I make it the next before (if I remember) but its just as good same day.

Serves 4 168 calories per serving.

WOW, does this look good! I think I might want to cook the corn first (raw corn?), but other than that, this recipe looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hashbrown potatoes out on the grill...season them and wrap them in a foil bag and throw them on the grill...no mess and so easy

made macaroni salad using canned turkey instead of tuna, ronzoni noodles or wheat noodles, low fat or 0 fat miracle whip/mayo

pasta salad with ronzoni noodles or wheat noodles with kraft free italian dressing and lots of veggies.

Arrugula salad with tomatoes and those mozza balls....yummy

corn and black bean salad..recipe found on that ginas skinny website.

bowl of cut up fruit
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks for posting.