strength training

Options
I just started zumba wii and shake weight this week. I want to start elliptical next week and eventually running. I heard that strength training helps u lose weight and toning. So my question is when should I start strength training? After I lose some weight or can I start now? what are some helpful workouts or what should I be doing at the gym....thanks

Replies

• mrsdaytons
    mrsdaytons Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ASAP!!! Weight training revs up your metabolism and will not only tone and shape your body, but it burn lots of calories. It is a must in a fitness routine.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can start anytime! It all works together :)
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All exercise is good, and there is never a better time to do any type. You may want to be assessed before doing strength training (one session with a Personal Trainer) as it is a combination of how much weight you can lift WHILE doing it with GOOF form. You need someone who knows what they are doing to watch you to make sure you are doing it right.

Remember that strength training is designed to build muscle (which weighs more than fat) so you can put on weight (in a healthy way) by strength training. If you have a lot of weight to loose this may not be evident for a while (and then you plateau out).

What I found out yesterday, if you are doing more than 1 aerobic session a week it is hard to put on muscle weight, so keep up the aerobics and add (but take it easy) with the strength training.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • MelodAngel
    MelodAngel Posts: 27
    Options
    i would also like to start, but need some advice on strength training i can do at home. i just bought two 5 lb weights that i do some arm workouts with, but need some other suggestions please! :)
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I found this article/website and it has helped me a ton!

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/strength.html
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    You can do body weight exercises to start with at home. Body squats, push ups, sit ups, lunges, pull ups, etc.
    When you're ready for more invest in a kettlebell. You can also make a homemade medicine ball (old basketball with sand, duct taped). From there you can work your way up to dumbbells, barbells, etc.