Fat Burners...to use or not to use?

Options
2»

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I looked them up and they are loaded with caffeine.... whatever.... I think these things are lame and can't believe that a personal trainer would recommend them. Are you in a plateau? Seems to me that she's//he's pushing a product for their benifit so that they can claim that their clients lose the most weight.
  • paperboyfabe
    paperboyfabe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fat Burners only make u sweat more.. It also makes u feel like your kinda high.. lol. It can be a lil addictive in my opinion.. So if you have an addictive personality stay away from them lol
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Some B12 and a cup of coffee or strong tea 30 minutes before a workout will do the same thing for you at a fraction of the cost! Plus you skip all the added crap they put in those pills.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest ignoring his suggestion and finding a new trainer!
    You aren't paying him to suggest drugs, you have a doctor you can see if you want to go down that path.
    In my (humble!) opinion, you are better to find a healthy pattern of eating and exercise that you can keep up for the long term that doesn't include expensive drugs/supplements/etc

Edited to add:
    I know they have to list all the side effects and they may not be common, but personally I wouldn't go near these. I find that too much caffeine or a single cold tablet with pseudoephedrine already make me really anxious and sleepless, so I would scared of this product.

Info from: http://www.healthreviewscenter.com/lipo-6-black-hers-reviews/

Some of the side effects reported include jitters, nausea, headaches, dry mouth, mood swings, depression or bloating. If you experience any of these side effects we recommend either taking less pills or give up using it. You don’t want to mess up your body just because you wanted to get rid of some fat.
    The best way to start using this Lipo 6 Black version is to make and appointment with your doctor and see what he thinks about it. This is an important step because you should not use it if you take meds like: anti-depressants, aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or products that contain phenylephrine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, phenylethylamine and the list can go on.
    You should also be on the lookout if you suffer from conditions such as heart, liver, kidney or thyroid condition, psychiatric issues, diabetes, higher or lower blood pressure, glaucoma or prostate.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take Green Tea Fat Burner to supplement my diet and exercise. Anybody know if those're good or bad for you? The only thing I really notice about them is that they tend to help me stay awake in the morning (I'm not a morning person... ) since it has caffeine... but other than that I don't feel much of anything.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    http://www.oxyelite-pro.com/oxyelite-pro-ingredients

If you cant pronounce the ingredients thats a good sign to steer clear...
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    The trainers at my gym always push them, too. i am sure they are very profitable. My feeling is, I don't want to lose weight because I took something that is unsustainable. I could probably drop a few pounds if I started doing meth, too, but that's not the route I want to go. I have not been permanently successful at weight loss yet, but when I am, it's going to be because I learned how to live healthfully, not 'cause I took some crap pills I got at the gym. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for giving me your 2 cents I liked it :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good boost to my workout every now and then, I choose buzzerk shakes though and not pills......some fat burners are thermogenics, some are all caffeine, guess it depends what's in it exactly and how you normally are with caffeine? If you're concerned, don't do it! If you don't feel like you need it, don't do it!! I say as long as you're not eating 12 pills a day and trying to live off them and have them lose the weight for you, they couldn't hurt........unless there's something in them you're sensitive to! and then there's all the variables like do you have high blood pressure, blah blah blah.......hmmmm.....might not be worth the trouble? ;)

He said they were a form of a thermogenic...he said it would heat up my body temperature which would in turn burn more energy

You could "naturally" heat up your body tempature...try wearing a sweatshirt while you workout. I have good things baout your body needing to be warm to burn optimal calories, but I think naturally doing it would be a ton better! I wear a aweatshirt sometimes to Zumba and burn 33% more calories than my normal tank-top. I also have tried drinking hot green tea before working out and have burned up to 25% more calories...:wink:
    Wearing a sweatshirt does not contribute towards thermogenesis; if anything, it might counter it. Thermogenesis is when your body works to raise the body temperature. When you exercise, you burn calories and raise your body temperature as a side effect. Donning a sweatshirt simply prevents some of that heat from escaping your body. It does not cause your body to generate more heat.

That said, it may be possible to burn more calories by wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I am no expert but since your body has to work towards keeping the temperature low, that could still count as "work" which means more calorie burning.

In any case, I would still avoid those pills. I refuse to believe in any healthy, sustainable weight loss shortcuts unless there's extensive, trustworthy scientific studies done to prove otherwise.