Traveling for a week - need tips to stay healthy.

Options
Help! I'm on the road for a week and I'm finding it very difficult to find healthy food. :ohwell: Any of you seasoned travelers care to share some tips on how to eat healthy when you're on the road for business?

On a good note, there is a fantastic gym connected to the hotel I can use so all is not lost. :smile:

Replies

• Kethypookins
    Kethypookins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Help! I'm on the road for a week and I'm finding it very difficult to find healthy food. :ohwell: Any of you seasoned travelers care to share some tips on how to eat healthy when you're on the road for business?

On a good note, there is a fantastic gym connected to the hotel I can use so all is not lost. :smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Take a cooler full of healthy food.
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I don't travel but myhusband used to. So what we did was buy him a box of individual oatmeals for breakfast. There would usually be a microwave and milk down in the lobby. We'd get the low-sugar maple syrup flavored kind from the store. It was something like 130 calories for the packet, plus milk.

For lunches, I gave him a list of fast food restaurants and what you could order to keep your calories down. Pretty much wherever he went he would eat the grilled chilcken sandwich, no mayo, and a side salad.

For dinner he had limited choices for restaurants, but they were all national chains. So before he left his office for the day he and his coworker would pick out where they were going to eat dinner. He'd then log on to the restaurant's website and look at the nutrition facts for the food and pick out what he was going to eat.

The worst part for him was that his coworker was EXTREMELY overweight and would eat nasty fried food all the time. At first it made him jealous, but after a while he realized how disgusting the guy was and that people from other tables would actually stare out how gross he looked eating all that icky food.

Hope that helps!! Good luck with traveling!!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    UGH I hate it - especially when your on site with a customer and they order lunch -
    and it's not healthy.

I do the same thing as when I eat out know what I want before I go - eat in moderation
    I do however stop a local grocery store once I arrive and buy healthy snacks to keep in my room

Good Luck
  • Kethypookins
    Kethypookins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Those are great ideas, especially looking online at the nutritional facts before I go. I'm already here so I didn't think of packing a cooler. No refrigerator in the room. I did find a little market that sells yogurt and fresh fruit for breakfast. Great ideas! Thanks :smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    When our family went on a trip to Disney, we shipped ourselves a box of food. We put in boxes of cereal and oatmeal for breakfast. We packed protein bars and flavor packets for water (nothing like the taste of water from a different town).

Oops, just realized, you said you were already there.... Ah well, does that market sell salads in the produce or deli dept? Protein bars? They go well with fruit for a snack too. Cheese sticks and fruit. Can't really help you so much with dinner, other than what others have said about making your choices online and in advance.

Good luck
    -Robin