Question about Being Thin

Options
How is it even possible for one to get so small? I can never imagine myself being smaller than I am now... I feel like my bones or something wouldn't allow me to be so skinny... I guess I have never been thin in my life and therefore cannot even see myself being thinner than I am now.

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Guess you'll find out soon enough when you get there. :)
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    I hear you, but I am going to give it a shot anyway...I was reading posts today about weights people are aiming for which I can not begin to imagine, but I stick with my small goals and eventually get to a place I am comforable with...I know I am not comfortable with where I am now.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    Well, it all depends on your body frame / heigh / muscle tone.... I'm not quite sure what you mean. Everybody's different and everybody's body shape is unique. Not everyone strives to be skinny. Believe it or not, there are some people out there completely comfortable with being an average weight. My kickboxing instructor says on the regular, "I'm not skinny, I'm fit" and she's right.

It really all depends on you and how you feel. BMI is a good tool to see if you're weight is at a healthy range. If it is, then there is no need trying to get to a point where your body is not stable at and it takes extreme restriction to maintain.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised. I thought I was big boned until a year ago I lost 25 pounds and was 117 pounds. My legs and arms were so tiny It was so weird to cuz the weight came off so fast it was like I was in someone elses body!
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    its not all visible, there is a layer of fat under muscle.. sometimes you can't physically notice the difference, but if you have more muscle and a lower body fat percentage your body will work more efficiently.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well, it all depends on your body frame / heigh / muscle tone.... I'm not quite sure what you mean. Everybody's different and everybody's body shape is unique. Not everyone strives to be skinny. Believe it or not, there are some people out there completely comfortable with being an average weight. My kickboxing instructor says on the regular, "I'm not skinny, I'm fit" and she's right.

It really all depends on you and how you feel. BMI is a good tool to see if you're weight is at a healthy range. If it is, then there is no need trying to get to a point where your body is not stable at and it takes extreme restriction to maintain.

According to BMI I'm obese, which is a lie... >_>;;;

I'm 195 right now. I have never been less than 180 in my young life. I mean of course I was smaller when I was younger, but that's different. Even when I was young I was still overweight. So it is nearly impossible for me to imagine being smaller than I am now.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My first goal on MFP was 155 lbs... never thought I would get there. Now I'm 128 and in maintenance. You'll surprise yourself at what you're capable of!! Good luck!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Even though I don't consider myself thin, right now I am the thinnest I've ever been and I still find it hard to recognize myself in the mirror. If I stare, I can still find flaws - lots of them - but it still sometimes surprise me. I've never been smaller than I am now, but I've been bigger so I simply know that I CAN be smaller if I want to.

My mom used to tell me I was big boned... but bones aren't fat and flabby! So that ain't it! We can actually be thin :)
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't feel like I look any differently... but I know that I do. My proportions have stayed the same, but my clothes just kept getting bigger. It's very surreal to shop for a size you are SURE should only fit children ; )
  • daniellerp
    daniellerp Posts: 21
    Options
    You got this!
    It's a great feeling!!!
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    I used to think that real weight loss was a myth, possible only for the few who had a lot to lose and made huge changes to make it. Since i started doing cleanses and dieting, I found that at the start I never believed that I would actually lose weight. But if you are disciplined and stick to your diet and exercise guidelines the weight WILL come off, whether you think it will or not. Just wait and see. Just remember it won't be easy and don't have any expectations.

I've lost about 20 lbs since my highest weight and when I first reached the weight I'm at now, I was really uncomfortable with it. I felt like I was bony and even as far as pathetic looking. But once I got used to the physical feeling of not having the extra fat on my body and seeing pictures of myself where I'm visibly thinner, I realized that I actually look and feel pretty good at this weight! It was just shocking at first...

It was really weird at first but I didn't give up on my goal and I'm still working at it. Good luck to you! I know you can get the body you want!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's being very discouraging to me that I have not been able to get under 192 this whole entire time I have been doing this. Now, I feel like I'm not doing anything right. What should i do? I FEEL like I just want to stop eating all together, but I know I can't do that... I like eating. :(
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's being very discouraging to me that I have not been able to get under 192 this whole entire time I have been doing this. Now, I feel like I'm not doing anything right. What should i do? I FEEL like I just want to stop eating all together, but I know I can't do that... I like eating. :(

I would not recommend the stop eating approach. It's dangerous and counterproductive. Most dieters don't actually eat enough. Follow the program, add in a solid strength and cardio training program. Not just cardio. Weight lifting whether it's bodyweight excercises or actual iron, is important to your body. You won't become a female body builder they have to spend their lives in the gym and eat crazy amounts of food to get that way.

Transition from junk to whole foods and sure enough your body will change. It needs time, patience, and stick-to-itness. I find that not feeling deprived is very important too. If there's something I want, I try to make it as healthy as possible but still what I want, then I have it, log it, and move on.
  • Phyllisswindall
    Options
    Try hiring a trainer to work with you for a while to get you on track and find out where your problem is. I just started and it is very motivational and I am very optimistic that I will see a change and meet my goals. Research trainers to choose one that really gets results. A good trainer should help you see changes.