Weekends are the hardest

Options
My wife and I don't have much of a problem sticking to the plan during the week, but weekends are rough. In our case, the culprit is something of a social dynamic. Case in point -- this past weekend, we went on an Autumn motorcycle ride with 2 other couples. Along the way, someone points out that there is a "GREAT restaurant" right up the road. Someone else says "Oh good, I haven't had breakfast yet." Some else says "Yeah, it's chilly, I could go for some coffee."

The group goes, so we go. It's not a planned meal but we don't want to be deadbeats and it's awkward to sit in a restaurant and not eat so we order something light but it still puts us over on the calories.

One example, but things like this happen in life. I'm sure we're not the only ones.

Replies

• GuitarJohn
    GuitarJohn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My wife and I don't have much of a problem sticking to the plan during the week, but weekends are rough. In our case, the culprit is something of a social dynamic. Case in point -- this past weekend, we went on an Autumn motorcycle ride with 2 other couples. Along the way, someone points out that there is a "GREAT restaurant" right up the road. Someone else says "Oh good, I haven't had breakfast yet." Some else says "Yeah, it's chilly, I could go for some coffee."

The group goes, so we go. It's not a planned meal but we don't want to be deadbeats and it's awkward to sit in a restaurant and not eat so we order something light but it still puts us over on the calories.

One example, but things like this happen in life. I'm sure we're not the only ones.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough-- I have my weigh-in on Friday so if I relax a bit too much over the weekend I still have all week to get back on track, kick some exercise butt, and hope to see a net loss.

Social eating is probably the toughest to combat. I find it even with hubby-- he's never had a day in his life where he's had to worry about weight loss. Me? I smell 1/10th of the calories he eats and I pack on the pounds. So, now that I'm trying to be mindful of what I eat it's trickier being his "eating buddy."
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off more slowly, but I have my "cheat days" on the weekends for similar reasons. My family always goes out for lunch or dinner a time (or two!) every weekend. I want to see them, I want to visit, I enjoy going out -- so we go. Nothing is ever low calorie enough to keep me within my limits. I decided a long time ago that eating right 5 out of 7 days was much better than the way I use to eat 7 out of 7 days, so I wasn't gonna sweat the weekends. I try to eat right the meals that I eat in, but I don't beat myself up over meals out with my family. Those are moments and memories I refuse to give up. The weight will come off slower, but it will still come off. :flowerforyou:
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    Weekends are always the toughest for me too. It's always the time to go out for dinner or drinks with friends and those calories add up fast! I'm trying to prepare better for the weekends and make sure I get my exercise in to combat the extra intake of cals. I'm not always successful but I'm getting better. I think it's all a work in progress and some weekends will be better than others.
  • Helen43
    Helen43 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have the same problem. I only really get online during the week. On the weekend, I can't seem to find time to enter my foods. And then there are restaurants. The family wants to go to the chinese buffet...what can I do? I can't just go and sit there. I haven't solved this problem for myself yet, so I don't really have any words of wisdom for you.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off more slowly, but I have my "cheat days" on the weekends for similar reasons. My family always goes out for lunch or dinner a time (or two!) every weekend. I want to see them, I want to visit, I enjoy going out -- so we go. Nothing is ever low calorie enough to keep me within my limits. I decided a long time ago that eating right 5 out of 7 days was much better than the way I use to eat 7 out of 7 days, so I wasn't gonna sweat the weekends. I try to eat right the meals that I eat in, but I don't beat myself up over meals out with my family. Those are moments and memories I refuse to give up. The weight will come off slower, but it will still come off. :flowerforyou:

Absolutely, Lauren-- overall we're making changes, and no doubt on your weekend outings you're still making better choices and using better control than you did before. So, even though you're "cheating" it's still probably better than the reckless abandon previously used, with no thoughts as to what we were eating.

Those social times are priceless, and I'm not willing to give them up, really, either. I don't want to be the drag in the group-- but, having said that, I still eat more wisely socially than I did before.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    By far not the only ones. For me, I've discovered it has to do with keeping my hands busy. I'm not a very confident person and to just sit there in a social atmosphere has me feeling very vulnerable. I'm just noticing this more because I don't have my cigarettes to help me out with this problem anymore.(I quit back at Easter time, with only a few minor setbacks). It seems I've used food to replace the bad habit!! All week it's just me and the baby home. Hubby's at work and the kids are at school, plus being home is just comfortable so I don't feel the need to hide behind anything!! The weekends only become a problem when we're out and about!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    this weekend, just for the heck of it, I ordered a 'good' breakfast. I wanted to see if I would feel deprived. Honestly, if I had I would have ordered some more, but I didnt.

I had
    1 poached eg
    2 slice whole wheat toast, dry
    1 little container of straw jam
    3 oz of ham steak ( I asked the server to ask the cook the weight. She came back surprised that he knew it was 6 oz..god love portion control!)

Coffee with skim milk and 2 of the little creamers

I felt GREAT! My friend on the other hand ate our normal breakfast (think Grand Slam) and felt sluggish and tired. She said next time I can order for her....and we will split the ham!!
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I try and workout Saturday mornings so I know I have an extra 500 calories or so for the day... This lets me relax a little and splurge with the kids if we end up eating out or whatever...

If I start to go over on Sunday, I'll go for a brisk walk or something to try and ward off SOME of the calories...

Of course, there are a lot of weekends where I can't exercise for some reason or another and then I end up over too...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I try and workout Saturday mornings so I know I have an extra 500 calories or so for the day... This lets me relax a little and splurge with the kids if we end up eating out or whatever...

If I start to go over on Sunday, I'll go for a brisk walk or something to try and ward off SOME of the calories...

Of course, there are a lot of weekends where I can't exercise for some reason or another and then I end up over too...

I am encouraged to CLEAN HOUSE on the weekends as a way to burn off all those calories I eat! :laugh:
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    [I am encouraged to CLEAN HOUSE on the weekends as a way to burn off all those calories I eat! :laugh:

That works too!!!! I've worn my HRM around my house when cleaning and it really does add up after a while!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Last weekend was a disaster for me in terms of going over on calories. I had almost a 3000 calorie day :sad: The crazy thing is that I thought I had blown my calories after dinner and it really didn't happen until I ate a whole mess of cookies for dessert. I didn't know that was what I was doing... makes me wonder how many times I have done that in the past without realizing it!

Luckily, we don't have a lot planned this weekend. I am planning to workout both days to ease the impact of whatever dietary indiscretions come along. Also, I realize now that even if I know I go over on my calories, it isn't a good idea to just give up for the day. I could add another 1000 calories without realizeing it. :grumble:

Weekends are hard for most of us. I think it is just a matter of trying to make the best choices we can with what is available. This is something I really need to start working on!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my bad days too. I work around food ( a Canadainj franchise bulk food store called Bulk Barn) and it's soo easy to just nibble on something, and keep doing that again and again......etc.

If I'm not working it's because something big is happing and I booked the day off. Last weekend I had off it was Thanksgiving. The weekend before that a friend birthday party. This weekend MY Birthday party........

Theres about eight teenagers and the easiest thing to give a large group of teenagers to eat as a meal is pizza.......and birthday cake.....oh birthday cake I love yet hate you:brokenheart: good thing my wiegh in day is a friday!:drinker:
  • Lynnmarie234
    Lynnmarie234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this too! All week I have such a crazy schedule that I don't have time to stray far from my plan, but then on the weekends I do horrid. A lot of it is procrastination, i don't want to go do school work or clean stalls or house, so I roam the kitchen for something to do instead. Sometimes i think i do it because I feel like i've worked hard and been good all week and now i deserve this ice cream bar! Plus if I see a family memember eating something (like cheese twisties) then my mouth waters and i tell myself a handful won't hurt.... and then i end up getting seconds and thirds!! Now that I'm actually saying this, i think my problem is lack of will power, but weekends are my weakness...
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I'm so glad someone posted this concern!! I too find weekends to be a big challenge. It seems like eating out is the main form of entertainment for my husband and I since we never get to do it during the week. Even going to a sub shop, the calories sky rocket. And let's not get into the sodium! It nearly triples!! Social settings, I agree, they're tough. But I wouldn't give them up for anything. The "old" me would have binged, the "new" me has more control - despite the slight "cheats." :drinker:
    98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter