Has any one tried diuretics.

Options
Just wondering how they work and if they make a noticeable difference? I'm thinking due to my bloating from my TOM it may help me lose the poof. I have a beach day planned with a bunch of friends and family and wanna look my best. This is not something I'd use often or abuse. And if you've uses them and likes the results what kind?

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I do not recommend this especially during the summer when it is warm and dehydration is an added risk.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    coffee?
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of natural diuretics. Hot water and fresh squeezed lemon juice is a favorite.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    They gave me a severe headache, I went to the Dr and got prescription water pills love them.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Never thought to look up natural duretics. Thank you
  • ltnass78
    ltnass78 Posts: 2
    Options
    get a juicer and make a healthy diuretic: Celery, Kale, Carrots, grapefruit, green apple
  • mdkiwi
    mdkiwi Posts: 8
    Options
    Totally agree, as a nurse as well I don't think diuretics are a real solution to weight loss. They can be quite dangerous and lead to other health concerns if used improperly.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    get a juicer and make a healthy diuretic: Celery, Kale, Carrots, grapefruit, green apple

Will that help you lose water weight?
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    My doctor gave me some when I was in transition between blood pressure meds. I had to take them for 30 days. I didn't notice anything different.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking water... may seem counterproductive but your body needs it.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I do not recommend this especially during the summer when it is warm and dehydration is an added risk.

I agree you'd have to drink a ton of water to stay hydrated.

Besides increased water, lemon water and veggies mentioned above, dandelion root and/or cranberry tea work great (Yogi makes a great one for TOM called Cranberry weightless). Also of course you want to eat low sodium for a week leading up to the event. Hope that helps.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling bloated the healthiest way to get rid of the water weight, believe it or not , is to drink more water. Diuretics, even natural ones, can leave you dehydrated especially like someone said in these hot days.

Your body is constantly trying to balance itself out. You get bloated when your body feels like it doesn't have enough water to balance the electrolytes in your body and holds on to the water you do have. So give your body what it wants, more water, and it will let go of what it's holding on to.

You'll pee a lot but you will feel soooo much better.
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    I take diuretics on a daily basis, not to lose weight, but to safe my life. I take them to keep the water off my heart and lungs, & because I have poor circulation in my legs. They were prescribed to me by my cardiologist.
    i drink a lot of water, and decaf green tea with lemon. I also eat a lot of fruit & veggies to stay hydrated.
    So, how I feel about you taking diuretics to lose weight or bloating, do not take them. Everyone else is right, just drink more water & stay hydrated. If I didn't have to take them I wouldn't, however I have no choice at this time at least. I am hoping that when I reach my weight loss goal & maintain that weight, I can hopefully come off of some of my medications.
    Thank you for listening...Take Care & God Bless
    ~Patty
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    If you want quick bloat reduction, I'd recommend ginger. I feel loads better whenever I have it.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I take diuretics on a daily basis, not to lose weight, but to safe my life. I take them to keep the water off my heart and lungs, & because I have poor circulation in my legs. They were prescribed to me by my cardiologist.
    i drink a lot of water, and decaf green tea with lemon. I also eat a lot of fruit & veggies to stay hydrated.
    So, how I feel about you taking diuretics to lose weight or bloating, do not take them. Everyone else is right, just drink more water & stay hydrated. If I didn't have to take them I wouldn't, however I have no choice at this time at least. I am hoping that when I reach my weight loss goal & maintain that weight, I can hopefully come off of some of my medications.
    Thank you for listening...Take Care & God Bless
    ~Patty

I have been taking a prescription water pill for years due to poor circulation in my legs. (Thanks, Mom) It's amazing how much it helps. Since starting to lose weight, I've changed my diet (see the other posts for suggestions), I've been able to cut back from taking it every day to taking it every other day. This pill is a god-send. I'd recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. It's not for everyone and it has side effects.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've taken natural ones during my TOM but they seem to just cause retention in the long run. Just drink lots of water and green tea too.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Drink water! LOTS of it and cut out as much salt as possible. I can assure you that diuretics will not work unless you stay hydrated which is quite tough on them because it constantly flushes it out and leaves you thirsty. I fluctuated like crazy while on them(for BP meds) and it didn't really help with water retention(which I do a lot of due to BP).