Freaked out about turning 40!!!!

Options
I am closing in on 40 and I am trying not to freak out!!! I am not happy with the way I look and I am afraid it will only get worse as I enter my fourth decade. I keep trying to reason with myself about this but it keeps popping up to torment me. Any good advice for heading off an early female mid life crisis?

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 at the beginning of June and I've decided this will be my best decade yet. I'm gaining ground on getting my black belt in Taekwondo. I got a new bike for my birthday and we've been out riding quite a bit. I am far less worried about what people think and I'm not afraid to explore and try new things. As my kids get older and are slowly changing into young adults it's put a whole new dynamic on our relationships that are very wonderful to me! I feel like there is still a whole lot of living yet to do and the 27 pounds I've lost so far is just the beginning of getting healthier so I can enjoy it all! I'm halfway through my second round of P90X and planning to try Insanity next. I know people in their 20's who've washed out long before me!

I may be 40 but I'm not dead yet and still have a lot of stuff I want to try!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Be glad it's not 50? :wink: That's what's coming up for me...YIKES!

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Slowtri
    Slowtri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I freaked out at 30... 40 was no problem... Okay, I did go through my own form of mid-life crisis and did an Ironman.. but that was just being insane... well, actually, it's the point of what I was gonna say... I kinda started "growing" up at 40. I decided to really start taking care of myself and putting that attitude of not caring about what I did behind me...

Look at it as a new chance to recreate yourself...
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Instead of dreading it look at it as an opportunity to re-invent yourself before you get there and embrace it. You are getting to be the person you want to be. I am a much better person in my 40's than I was in my 20's and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 40 isn't old... it's just hitting your stride. Have fun with it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this reallly helps the issue but you actually just marked the end of your fourth decade... technically your moving into your fifth. But from what i hear 40s are the new 30s so embrace it !!
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    40 and 50 have long come and gone. Looking at 60 in a couple of years. Rather than dread a birthday, embrace your life.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm lovin my 40's and I'm on the downhill side of turning 50, The only advise I can give you is don't sweat it. Life is so much more fun and I'm not sure I've actually matured much, but then I'm not too concerned with how others judge me these days. :-)
    I don't feel old mentally,.....wait,... my wife just confirmed it,...I haven't matured, but she is cool:bigsmile: :glasses: :noway: with that.

I did have a small mid-life crisis at 44. We drove by the car lot and there was a big blue F350 4wheel drive crew cab dually we had a load of hay and my wife said thats a pretty truck and in marrige speak I heard "you have my permission." Well 90 minutes later I was driving my id around and loving it, then fuel hit $4+/gal and midlife crisis became midlife bummer at $600+ a month for fuel. So a couple years ago big blue became little white Kia. Still paying for that joy ride.:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :bigsmile:
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You're not old. I started taking karate at 46. Got my black belt at 49. I'm 53 now, working towards my third degree black belt next year. I'm probably in the best shape I have ever been in. Barring any physical problems, there's no reason turning 40 should slow you down. I can see people who are over 40 that seem "old", and other people in their 50s and 60s who are "young". It's all a state of mind.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and can still basically do the same things i could do when i was 20 so age really don't mean alot. I can still pass for mid 30's thankfully lol.. 40 is just a number.
  • sunnygirl73
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and your support! You all reminded me how great my life is at this age and yes, I am hitting my stride and I do care less about what others think. I am going to embrace this next decade and make it the best one yet!! All of you are awesome!!! :-)
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    as I enter my fourth decade.

Ehm, you're actually entering your fifth decade (just thought I'd make you feel even worse :laugh: )

I'll be 40 next year and to be honest, I'm not exactly delighted about that either. I loved my (early) thirties. :ohwell: