RUNNING:: MyStrategies for building speeeeeeed!

Options

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that inexperienced runners, if you're going to do this, please do so cautiously. On another board I frequent they have many pro triathletes and runners that suggest that in order to run fast, you should just run more. "Run more, mostly easy sometimes hard." Speed will come over time naturally, but more importantly for beginner runners is to build a strong base.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that inexperienced runners, if you're going to do this, please do so cautiously. On another board I frequent they have many pro triathletes and runners that suggest that in order to run fast, you should just run more. "Run more, mostly easy sometimes hard." Speed will come over time naturally, but more importantly for beginner runners is to build a strong base.

Agreed. It is definitely a point worth repeating. Thanks.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Great post. I am a firm believer in 'run less, run smarter'. I haven't made the speed gains that you have, but I have allergy issues that slow me down, but I have had much less injury / soreness since following the F.I.R.S.T. running program ( run three days a week). You do have to establish your base before you get into the intensity, but I totally agree the extra intensity of the speed work and hills makes you faster and stronger than just running a lot of 'junk miles'.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lots to ponder over, thanks people!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I'll be back to read more later
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    bump
  • baptistgirl23
    baptistgirl23 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! :o)
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    bump
  • faithog
    Options
    Bump!
  • marcibar
    Options
    Do you have any advice for getting a hill workout in when you live in a pretty flat area? or a substitution for hills?

I live in a very flat area, but I go to non rocky hiking trails that are jogger friendly, just watch where you step. If you don't have those, how about a freeway overpass? Those would be short hills, but still hills. Around here we have a few parks that are also lower then street level that are short, but steep.

Good luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Do you have any advice for getting a hill workout in when you live in a pretty flat area? or a substitution for hills?

I live in a very flat area, but I go to non rocky hiking trails that are jogger friendly, just watch where you step. If you don't have those, how about a freeway overpass? Those would be short hills, but still hills. Around here we have a few parks that are also lower then street level that are short, but steep.

Good luck!

Don't forget parking garages, bridges, stadiums, or tall buildings with stair cases.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    Bump.

My speed is pretty poor right now (11mm), but I am really enjoying challenging myself to run longer distances. I'm fortunate that my pace remains the same at 1 mile and at 5 miles, I don't really slow down. But I don't speed up either. I take an Air Force fitness test every 6 months that require me to run 1.5 miles as fast as I can. Hoping these tips will help to increase the speed on shorter distances.

I'm still in the "build a good base" phase, but am looking forward to doing this once I become a more experienced runner. Thanks!
  • Blueperle
    Options
    bump
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    bump
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks! (bump!)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    bump on this, just about to complete C25K and want to up my speed even a little, as im only 11.5mm. i already do alittle hill work, but i think this will help me get some structure and actually increase my speed, i would be ecstatic with 10mm :D
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump!