Struggling with Hypothyroidism - HELP Please!!

Options
Is anyone else dealing with hypothyroidism? I am needing some support and hope that weight loss is possible with this condition. Has anyone had any breakthroughs with specific foods or exercises? Every time I think, "This is it; I'm finally going to start having some success," I end up facing the same uphill battle, and I'm getting tired :ohwell:

I have been struggling with my weight for the last six years and couldn't figure out why I was gaining despite diet and exercise. I finally got fed up and just quit … quit watching what I was eating and quit working out. That was obviously the wrong thing to do, and I am now trying to get my life back together. I started eating healthy and exercising 1 hr/day 5 days/wk last September and only lost 2 lbs by December.

In January I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and that shed a huge light on the difficulties I had been having with my weight. I thought that once I was on medication, I would be able to lose the weight easily, but I quickly discovered that is not the case. I have managed to lose 22 lbs, but it has been extremely hard. I fight to keep my motivation high and continue to be "good" even though it seems like it isn't doing any good, but it is so hard to do sometimes.

I have watched multiple friends pass me by with minimal effort (1 hr/day 2 day/wk). I am extremely excited and happy for them, but it just makes me feel that much worse about my own lack of progress. I need some support from someone else who is also struggling despite working very hard.

18159.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Bachelle
    Options
    Is anyone else dealing with hypothyroidism? I am needing some support and hope that weight loss is possible with this condition. Has anyone had any breakthroughs with specific foods or exercises? Every time I think, "This is it; I'm finally going to start having some success," I end up facing the same uphill battle, and I'm getting tired :ohwell:

I have been struggling with my weight for the last six years and couldn't figure out why I was gaining despite diet and exercise. I finally got fed up and just quit … quit watching what I was eating and quit working out. That was obviously the wrong thing to do, and I am now trying to get my life back together. I started eating healthy and exercising 1 hr/day 5 days/wk last September and only lost 2 lbs by December.

In January I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and that shed a huge light on the difficulties I had been having with my weight. I thought that once I was on medication, I would be able to lose the weight easily, but I quickly discovered that is not the case. I have managed to lose 22 lbs, but it has been extremely hard. I fight to keep my motivation high and continue to be "good" even though it seems like it isn't doing any good, but it is so hard to do sometimes.

I have watched multiple friends pass me by with minimal effort (1 hr/day 2 day/wk). I am extremely excited and happy for them, but it just makes me feel that much worse about my own lack of progress. I need some support from someone else who is also struggling despite working very hard.

18159.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When you take medication for hypothyroidism, it doesn't make weight loss any easier than it would be with a normally functioning thyroid. It's hard for *everyone* to lose fat.

I don't see a lack of progress here. To me, it looks like you've discovered your problem, fixed it, and lost 22 lbs so far this year. I *love* to have lost 22 lbs this year. Instead I gained 12 and then lost 8 (And I work out for 1-2 hours/ day, 6 days per week....I am working hard lol). That's still progress in my book--I've made progress with my running and have prevented any more weight gain.

Part of this lifestyle change is learning how your body reacts to the changes and manipulating things to find what works for you. You can't compare yourself to others.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I also have the same thyroid condition, and felt the same way as you. I just couldn't lose much, only gain, even with taking the pills. BUT, since starting MFP, I HAVE been steadily losing! I"ve had some weeks where I just stayed the same, but, over all, I am THRILLED with how much weight I've lost, and it's PRACTICALLY been easy doing it!
    I just watch my numbers, and for exercise, I dance to fast oldies in my living room almost every day for a half hour to 45 mins., and I also walk.
    I drink lots of water too, which I think has been a big help, since I never used to drink it. Maybe THAT'S what part of your problem is. If not, just stick with MFP, and the weight WILL come off!
  • E0084153
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and am on meds.
    Have you ever tried to stop eating early in the evening? It would depend on when you go to sleep, but somewhere around 5, or so, if you go to sleep at 10ish...
    (That means even if you work-out in the evenings...)
    I don't know if that is possible for you. It may be impractical, and I am not a doctor, or anything, but I've read that it has to do with growth hormone that is released at night while you sleep. Apparently, if you have a full stomach, the hormone can't work properly, and considering that hypo's (not to be confused with hippos, despite what I feel like somedays :smile: ) are already a little prone to (thyroid) hormone imbalances, I figure being REALLY empty at night can only help our bodies out even more.
    Again, 5 pm is earlier than most experts require (I think most say 2-3 hours before bed), but I also think a hypo's body just needs more help than the average person.
    It is difficult, but for me it is more manageable than pounding away at the gym carrying all this extra weight. My joints just can't take that anymore...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and am on meds.
    Have you ever tried to stop eating early in the evening? It would depend on when you go to sleep, but somewhere around 5, or so, if you go to sleep at 10ish...
    (That means even if you work-out in the evenings...)
    I don't know if that is possible for you. It may be impractical, and I am not a doctor, or anything, but I've read that it has to do with growth hormone that is released at night while you sleep. Apparently, if you have a full stomach, the hormone can't work properly, and considering that hypo's (not to be confused with hippos, despite what I feel like somedays :smile: ) are already a little prone to (thyroid) hormone imbalances, I figure being REALLY empty at night can only help our bodies out even more.
    Again, 5 pm is earlier than most experts require (I think most say 2-3 hours before bed), but I also think a hypo's body just needs more help than the average person.
    It is difficult, but for me it is more manageable than pounding away at the gym carrying all this extra weight. My joints just can't take that anymore...

The GH release reduction has only correlated with simple sugar ingestion within an hour of sleep. GH would still be released in either case, just that a little more might be released if you don't ingest simple carbohydrates before bed. You can still eat a protein/fat meal and be totally fine. Besides, GH doesn't really have much to do with fat loss or hypothyroidism. It promotes muscle/bone growth and repair, but that's already impeded by a hypocaloric diet. The thyroid hormones are in poor supply with hypothyroidism though, not GH. There's no reason to fast for 15 hours a day, and there's no reason to fast post-workout. In fact, if you're worried about GH release, that's really the worst time to NOT eat.