going camping for the weekend

Options
I'm going camping this weekend but I do not want it to become an eating fest for myself. I'm in charge of picking up the food today. Any ideas for stuff I can bring that is easy yet healthy?????

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    shish kebabs on the grill

baby potatoes
    mushrooms
    red peppers
    cherry tomatoes
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    BBQ'd fish, veggie kebabs, veggie burgers all pretty low in calories. Take loads of fruit and salad, nuts to snack on. You'll be fine :)
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lean meat/proteins such as nuts. I would leave behind the chips/cookies etc so aren't tempted to eat a bag...unless you bring a couple single servings. Can always make those hobo meals where you use tin foil and cook ground meat or chopped chicken with potatoes, carrots, corn etc...in the fire coals. Bring along lots of fruit which has to be eaten quickly so it won't spoil. Have fun.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Fruit is always refreshing on a hot day. You can make a fruit tray and have lite cool whip and lite yogurt to tip it in. ex. watermellon, grapes, strawberries, kiwi etc. Veggie platters for snacks are good to with low fat dip. Marshmellows are low in fat and is always a campers delite. Sandwiches/ subs for lunch. Multi grain, tomatoes, boston lettuce, cucumber, chicken, turkey slices etc with mustard or low fat miracle whip. Veggie burgers and salads? And finally.... light beer! hee hee its camping after all!
    Dana
  • Lilylove86
    Lilylove86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha, yup, picked up the light beer already!!!! It's 67 cals per bottle and it has a taste of lime. I try to stay away from alcohol...but come on, its camping! =D
  • sae1316
    sae1316 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can get lean hot dogs and ground meats for burgers and cook veggies like zucchini and yellow squash and sweet potatoes wrapped in foil or fresh corn on the grill. Don't forget chicken and fish grill well, too. Also, you can cook all kinds of combinations in little foil packets on the grill. How about using chocolate graham crackers and roasted marshmellows for s'mores? You'll have lot's of opportunities to increase your activity level while out doors so have fun and enjoy yourself:smile:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I always have baby carrots to munch on when camping, and hubby likes pita and hummus. beer is a no brainer, it's camping! :)

Love foil packs with a chicken breast, some potatoes, olive oil, spices, carrots, zucchini and onions.

Have you ever sliced up zucchini and ate it raw with some light ranch dressing? YUM!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be doing any hiking? If you are, you can relax on the calories a bit. You can burn up to 6000 calories for a full day of hiking.

Lean hot dogs without buns are awesome...the taste from the fire never makes me miss the bread. If you can take a cooler you could do turkey burgers, too, or chicken kabobs.
  • jcholgate
    jcholgate Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I camp all of the time and I run into this problem as well. Here are some things that I do that I haven't yet been mentioned.... Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs aren't bad over the fire. Also, Hillshire Farms Turkey Keilbasa. Instead of buns, use Arnold's Fill 'ems. Pack premade coleslaw... I make it with a bag of cole slaw mix, 2 T olive oil, 2T honey and 3 T vinegar. It is a nice light variety of the common creamy salad. And of course fill up on fresh fruits and veggies.
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm going camping next week and would love to save these ideas! :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on "camping" there's like 50 pages of camping posts. :)

Here's my suggestions

Breakfast: oatmeal, cereal & milk, omelettes, fruit
    Lunch: Sandwiches
    Dinners: Chicken, pork, steak, sweet potatos, grilled veggies (asparagus, squash, mushrooms, onions, zuchini, peppers)

Snacks:

baby carrots, cucumber, grape tomatos, celery with hummus for dipping
    grapes, strawberries, blueberrries, watermelon, canteloupe, pineapple, honeydew with a yogurt dip