What are your carb/fat/protein percentages?

Options
2»

Replies

• ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Mine are 10% carbs; 25% protein; 65% fat. At 1700 calories (I'm now 5'2" and 113.6lbs and not 'skinny-fat') that is 43g of carbs; 106g of protein; 123g of fat.

But this changes daily (I don't keep track of calories and fat; only carb grams and protein grams) since my energy needs change daily.
    After watching the documentary "FATHEAD" I restarted a low carb diet. My ratio is 70/25/5 (F/P/C).

Similarly, mine are 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5-10% carbs.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    30/30/40 c/f/p
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    30 protein
    30 carb
    40 fat

Basically, I set it for 100+g of protein, <100g carbs, the rest is fat. It just works out to 30/30/40
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Nothing complicated. 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat).

Be careful about lowering your carbs below 40%. Although it may benefit some people, there have been studies showing diets with less than 40% linked to depression. Again there are always exceptions to the rule but it's a good general rule.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40 protein, 20 fat, (I don't watch carbs but it's set at 40) (this is one of the settings P90X has in it's food guide that I thought would work for me)

funny thing is though I prefer to eat 50% of my body weight in protein daily and that is what I go by which is approx 75 grams (so I NEVER reach my 40% goal) I'm almost always under in fat sometimes substantially under and like I said I don't watch carbs but I'm always over the 40% probably more like 60% but most of it comes from fruits, veggies, or beans and lentils since I am vegetarian. I don't eat much rice, bread, pasta etc. so that's that.
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm trying for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat (and limiting bad carbs and bad fats).

On a side note, Italiana_xx79:
    This is what I used to do and will be doing again:

Calories around: 1200
    Fat around: 30
    Carbs around: 50
    Protein around: 85

There is no real reason to the numbers, I try to mainly keep my fat and carbs low :happy:
    Just a concern: Those fat, carb and protein limits only add up to 810 calories.

30 x 9 = 270
    50 x 4 = 200
    85 x 4 = 340

I just didn't want to see you set carb/fat/protein limits for yourself that are impossible to achieve while maintaining your calorie goal. :smile:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    40% Protein / 35% Carbs / 25% Fat
    Me too! :drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat (and limiting bad carbs and bad fats).

On a side note, Italiana_xx79:
    This is what I used to do and will be doing again:

Calories around: 1200
    Fat around: 30
    Carbs around: 50
    Protein around: 85

There is no real reason to the numbers, I try to mainly keep my fat and carbs low :happy:
    Just a concern: Those fat, carb and protein limits only add up to 810 calories.

30 x 9 = 270
    50 x 4 = 200
    85 x 4 = 340

I just didn't want to see you set carb/fat/protein limits for yourself that are impossible to achieve while maintaining your calorie goal. :smile:

If you go low carb you want to increase your fat intake to get your calories in. Don't be afraid of fat!! Fat alone doesn't make us fat. Our cells are made up of mainly proteins and fats. Our brains are 70% fat. Eating fat will release the necessary chemicals (from your fat tissue - I think it's Leptin) to signal your brain that you are full. Why would mother nature create something that our body needs - and is made up of - and then make it bad for us? (think olive oil, coconut oil, avocados). Healthy dietary fat (and that includes saturated fat!) is good for us.
    Plus 50g of carbs (I would get this in mainly fibrous veggies) per day will probably put you in ketosis (pure fat-burning which is great stuff) but you have to eat some fat to give your body permission to release what is being stored.

This isn't exactly the most scientific explanation so the details could be off a bit and I'm sure most people won't believe me.

Carbs drive insulin and insulin decides where the nutrients go.

I eat a lot of fat (strive for 70%). I sometimes have to do shots of coconut or avocado oil to get my fat and calories in for the day - it's amazing how long you stay full when eating mostly protein and fat. When I went primal I dropped 7lbs of body fat in six weeks - along with a little more water weight (and this was at a healthy weight). And this was with less exercise yet I haven't lost any lean muscle mass (thanks to cutting back on cardio). And without calorie counting and logging after the first couple of weeks on it.

I have a flat belly for the first time in my life. My first 6 months of "dieting" I dropped 9.5lbs and never lost my belly.
  • amandaking0420
    Options
    1200 calories

40 - carbs
    35 - protein
    25 - fat
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    40/30/30, c/p/f

You really shouldn't go by what other people use though.

Other than getting enough protein, everyone reacts differently to different macro %.

For example, my family has a history of diabetes... So obviously sugar is low, but so is carbs. And it works! I feel much better after a high fat meal than a high carb meal.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When deciding how to break out your macronutrients, you might also want to consider your body type, your activity levels (frequency, duration, intensity), and your ultimate goals.

First: figure out if you're ecto-, endo- or meso-morph. If these terms are unfamiliar to you, google them.

Second: people who do endurance sports or a lot of cardio have different carb requirements than those who primarily lift. Eat to fuel your activity. There is nothing inherently wrong or fattening about carbs or fat--although eating a diet high in sugar, refined flours, or saturated fat is probably not good for anybody--but if you take in a lot of carbs and don't burn them off, then you are likely to struggle to lose weight or worse, lose lean mass. If you are trying to build muscle, ramping up your protein is a must.

Three: Are you working towards a weight goal or a fitness goal? do you want to be thin or lean? do you want to achieve something particular in a favorite sport, etc? How you eat, and the food choices you make, should reflect these goals.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    These settings are highly dependant on your personal situation and history.
    Carbs and I do NOT get along and since I have PCOs (high insulin resitance) its important I watch them.

Protein 55%
    Carbs 25%
    Fat 20%

Most of my carbs actually come from things like greek yogurt, cheese, protein shakes, veggies.
    I don't eat processed white flour - pasta/bread etc...but I do eat a lot of Quinoa or whole grains.
    I do love the Thomas bagel thins -- thats my breakfast splurge.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Fat = 60%
    Protein = 25%
    Carbs = 15%.

I think that's probably pretty average for me.

I generally don't keep a super close eye on it and just stick to my eating guidelines: meat, veggies, nuts, and fruits.