Women of Color.. please help me!

Options
I am fairly new to working out and I am feeling the difference. I have more energy, inches are coming off, lbs are slowly coming off and this site has been excellent. Most of the people I exercise with are of a different race and cannot understand the reason for me no longer wanting to work out as much. Its my hair. Please tell me what I can do to continue working out, what products I can use to help my hair. Relaxers dont last as long and I am sick of it being braided all the tiime. I really want to keep working out and keeping my MFP numbers high but I just can't keep looking like the cowardly lion off of the wizard of oz. Please help me!

this post is not intended to leave anyone out, but this is something that women of color or a professional hair stylist of women of color's hair can help me out with. I hope you all understand. Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is your hair long or short? I have thick hair; I decided to go all natural; so I cut my hair and stop using the chemicals. I dont mean for u too cut ur hair, but just sharing what I did. I didn't want to have any more excuses why I am not losing weight. I love it!!!!!. When I want too change up a little. I have the cuties lace wigs that I wear. It's so much products out their, but cutting my hair was the best decision I have done. If you want to lose weight and be healthy and very serious about it. Exercise and dieting(nutrition) is the only way(natural way). But not exercise because of your hair; it's another excuse. Let's do this!!! After u reach ur goal weight. U well see it was well worth it!!!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    just bumping this for you so you can get some more answers, good luck finding something that works out for you.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have long curly hair...natural..I usually wear my curls wet. I do have the same issue as you...When I blow dry my hair straight...it gets frizzy/wavy when I sweat...very frustrating.So far I have just been using my CHI to straighten out the roots in the morning. It is time consuming.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Bumping so maybe some of the women on my friends' list can offer some advice.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    What kind of hair do you have? Type 4a? 4b?

I recently started a hair journey to grow my hair out, so I've made some changes to my hair regimen. I still get relaxers, but not every FOUR weeks like I used to - I stretch it out to 8-10 weeks. I don't straighten it that much anymore using heat. I used to flat iron it all the time; now I do a roller set maybe twice a month. Otherwise, I do a twist out or braid out. I've been working out consistently for years, so I know how it is. With that being said, I used to wash my hair every other day, which as we all know, is too much for a black woman. Now, I wash it once a week and co-wash (wash with conditioner) once a week. I mostly wear protective styles that don't expose my ends, so I'm all about a wide variety of up-do's.

When I work out, my hair is in a ponytail or bun, and since I do martial arts and P90X, my hair often gets drenched. When I'm done working out, I take it down, let it air dry, and then I moisturize with coconut oil and/or shea butter oil. I use leave-in conditioner or Mizani styling gel to smooth down the front and my edges and a put my hair in 3-4 twists/bantu knots. Then, I put on my silk scarf, take it down the next morning, add some more oil, style it in a french roll with a pompadour or a cute bun or something, and keep it moving. When I work out first thing in the morning, I'll leave it in the twists until I'm done, then I smooth down the front and the edges with a brush, then style.

I know it's complicated and our hair requires a lot of attention and detailed care, but if you have anymore questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask, and by no means should you let your hair deter you from working out. I got over that years ago and I feel so much more free! I can swim, I don't mind the rain nor humidity, I can do races, I can ride my bike, I can hike, I can drive with the windows down...
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My hair is curly when it's wet and can dry and stay curly but it it's not good for my hair it causes it to break off... I have hair to my shoulders so it's long but not down my back long. i don't want to cut it or continue to wear tight braids. i have soft hair but when i exercise it gets curly, when I wash it dry and brittle.... does that help? thanks for your help and advice
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    I have long curly hair...natural..I usually wear my curls wet. I do have the same issue as you...When I blow dry my hair straight...it gets frizzy/wavy when I sweat...very frustrating.So far I have just been using my CHI to straighten out the roots in the morning. It is time consuming.

I have a chi also and use heat protectant on my hair but it's breaking my ends off really bad using heat all the time.
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    Bumping so maybe some of the women on my friends' list can offer some advice.

you are so kind, thanks
  • fat2fab4life
    Options
    Is your hair long or short? I have thick hair; I decided to go all natural; so I cut my hair and stop using the chemicals. I dont mean for u too cut ur hair, but just sharing what I did. I didn't want to have any more excuses why I am not losing weight. I love it!!!!!. When I want too change up a little. I have the cuties lace wigs that I wear. It's so much products out their, but cutting my hair was the best decision I have done. If you want to lose weight and be healthy and very serious about it. Exercise and dieting(nutrition) is the only way(natural way). But not exercise because of your hair; it's another excuse. Let's do this!!! After u reach ur goal weight. U well see it was well worth it!!!!

You are so right, my hair should not be an excuse but I can't do anything with it and when I have to be many places during the week it's been harder trying to manage my hair due to what happens with it from the results of working out and trying to get it straight or clean, managable its frustrating you are right we can do this!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm loc'd, but honestly ask yourself what you value more; your health or your hair. I would go with a wash n go style or get really creative with headbands and scarves.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know I'm white but I Have VERY course and frizzy dry feeling hair. I use natural coconut oil in it and it workes wonders. Also I spray vegetable glycerin with a water mix into my hair and it keeps my curls soft and moist feeling. seriously if you haven't tried these things already TRY THEM! I've never had My hair looking this good. Google these two things and do some more research and you'll find out how great this stuff is for black womans hair as well.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has different hair and chooses to do their hair differently. Its been a journey to go natural, I have done it twice and now for three years.
    I love it, I do not worry about the raim, or about sweating, or the pool. Cause my hair has already curled up.
    I would guess that when your hair is straight you would have to touch it up every day after a workout. I know because I sweat more than any normal person, I am drenched when I workout wether its hot or cold. And my hair would always get frizzy when I was relaxed.

I think the natural hair would be a great way for you to not worry about that. But its up to you,
    I think your health is way more important. Maybe you do not have to go natural but you can do a wash and go, not have to worry about frizz then, and have your hair straight on weekends.
    good luck hope it works out, I know the struggle we women of color go through with our hair
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My hair is curly when it's wet and can dry and stay curly but it it's not good for my hair it causes it to break off... I have hair to my shoulders so it's long but not down my back long. i don't want to cut it or continue to wear tight braids. i have soft hair but when i exercise it gets curly, when I wash it dry and brittle.... does that help? thanks for your help and advice

Find products that will moisturize so you can wear it curly, then only blow dry & straighten for important functions. Check out Ms Jessie's products. They sell them in Target. A little pricey, but worth the money. My sister loves the curly pudding.
  • lyrical_21
    lyrical_21 Posts: 25
    Options
    I had this same issue too. I decided to choose my health over my hair. I am going natural. It seems to be the best way to go if you want to keep a regular exercise regimen. I just got tired of getting a perm and then not wanting to exercise because I didn't want to sweat out my hair. I would say to myself I would exercise after 2 weeks and that would turn into 2 months and gaining back the weight I had just lost. I got really sick of that. So now I am focused on getting healthy and staying healthy.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have ignored my hair for about 2 years now while getting into shape. I wear it natural in two-strand twists or a twist-out puff, but my hair is thin so I prefer added hair. However, hubby is not only against chemicals, he is against added hair AND he loves when I wear my hair straight. Now that I'm more in shape he likes to show me off, so I feel like I am messing with my hair more often. I could do the blow dry and press once a week, but NOT with my routine, which makes me sweat buckets. I am thinking to get professional twists with hair added so it lasts longer. Also considering sista locks. I was doing wash n gos but my hair got too dry, I may revisit it now that I'm in a more humid environment and discovered ms jessies buttercream...

If you haven't already, consider joining long hair care forum (www.longhaircareforum.com), they have a lot of tricks and tips for black hair. I mean to focus on the hair, but keep getting distracted by the fitness forum!
  • weightmatters
    Options
    Bump this for my wife who has been trying to go natural. I think natural hair is beautiful and should be embrace.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Bump this for my wife who has been trying to go natural. I think natural hair is beautiful and should be embrace.

Aren't you sweet?! Tell her to go to longhaircareforum.com, it has all kinds of info on going natural, etc. Buy her a year's subscription for $6.50 (I swear I don't work for them, just a member for years). She'll love it!
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this hair issue myself for many years. This has always been one of the reason I hated working out because my relaxed hair would be so jacked up by the time am done. It was such a headache to shampoo, blow dry, flat iron etc everyday. I have braided my hair for many years and as an African, braids is part of my heritage and I looove it. However, I have also decided to grow out my hair and go natural with maybe some brown highlights. I think natura hair is wonderful and am trying to embrace my natural hair and not be stuck with relaxer or processed hair for the rest of my life.
    Besides, my health is more important to me at this point of my life and my husband has been trying to get me embrace my own natural hair. Good luck in finding what works for you :)
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    If there's anything that's an absolute MUST is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Everyday! Organic cold pressed coconut oil makes my hair sooo soft. Washing with conditioner mid-week to hold you until your next shampoo wash keeps it soft too. My hair has grown an inch in 30 days and it's manageable and healthy, and no, I did not choose to go natural. Tried it years ago and hated. Do what's best for you, though.
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Braids work for me>>>>>>cant du wit out them!!!!