P90X info?

Options
This might sound stupid, but can anyone give me any info on p90x at all? I've been reading a lot about it on here but I don't know a thing about it...

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It is massively difficult to do for those not in shape. I would reccomend building up to it. It is great if you can stick to it but jumping right into it I have found leads to failure 95% of the time.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Its a 90 day program of different DVD's. I have done 2 rounds of it ( you can do the 90 days more than once) and it is a fun effective, tough workout.

I was always afraid of it - even though I work for the company helping people with the programs - I didn't think I could do it but once I decided to do it I loved it. It is a total body transformation but all the workouts can be tailored to your ability. Everything is modified.

Let me know if you want more details.... wasn't sure what questions you may have.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I am currently doing P90x I am on week 5 of 12. I will say some of the workouts are pretty difficult. I really don't like yoga so I do a different one. anyhow I am and was not even close to being in shape when I started. I am sure that after I complete this round I will do another round. I would suggest going to the beachbody website http://www.teambeachbody.com i am a coach also and will try to answer your question the best I can.

James
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It is an intense DVD series that involves all types of exercises. They range in time from 45 minutes to an hour and a half each. Some involve equipment (Pull up bar, dumbells and/or resistance bands) some do not. They go in an order a different DVD each day of the week. They change order and which ones are used in the later weeks.

From their own website their disks are as follows:

01 CHEST & BACK
    Targeted strength and definition workout emphasizes two classic upper-body exercises.

02 PLYOMETRICS
    Explosive jumping cardio routine proven to dramatically improve athletic performance.

03 SHOULDERS & ARMS
    Potent combination of pressing, curling, and fly movements that will leave you stronger.

04 YOGA X
    Combines strength, balance, flexibility, and breath work to enhance your physique and calm your mind.

05 LEGS & BACK
    Get ready to squat, lunge, and pull for a total-body workout like no other.

06 KENPO X
    Intense cardiovascular workout with punching and kicking for endurance, balance, and coordination.

07 X STRETCH
    Achieve a higher level of athleticism over a longer period of time, plus prevent injuries and avoid plateaus.

08 CORE SYNERGISTICS
    Build and support multiple muscle groups while conditioning your body.

09 CHEST, SHOULDERS, & TRICEPS
    Target both large and small upper-body muscles to push you to the brink.

10 BACK & BICEPS
    Flex those powerful biceps and focus on toning and tightening these showcase arm muscles.

11 CARDIO X
    A fun, low-impact cardio routine that will leave you feeling lean and mean.

12 AB RIPPER X
    Sculpt the six-pack abs of your dreams and benefit your health and physical performance.
  • jcaa2011
    jcaa2011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not intimidated by a tough workout, I prefer to do something more challenging most of the time. Is it very expensive to get, and how can you get it? I am really interested in trying it...
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    I just became a coach for beachbody which is the makers of P90X. If you want more info you can go to their website Team Beachbody. My coach is bzymumof5. She's awesome! You can also check out all there great services, workouts and products! P90X is an intense workout!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of the Lean version, and honestly it's not nearly as difficult as I was expecting. Certainly challenging, but not as hard as some will lead you to believe. Everything can be tailored to suit your individual needs. The only thing I've found virtually impossible for me is the Ab Ripper routine. After having 2 kids, I'm going to need to work up to those extreme ab exercises.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 45 of it (half way there, yay!). It's been a blast but yes, difficult at times. I can definately see improvements in my moves, my arms have muscles and I've lost 5lbs so far. :happy: I can also now do a bunch of different type of push ups on my toes rather than my knees. I used to be able to barely do 1 regular push up!

I wasn't in shape when I started and still am not. I was, somewhat active though since I played soccer on Sundays (but could barely keep up with some of the runners), would jog here and there and had completed a boot camp class about 2 months before starting p90x. Still, I have about 50lbs to lose still so it's not just for fit people.

One thing that isn't mentioned is that p90x is also about nutrition. High protein, low carb type of thing which is hard for me. Anywho, like Tony Horton says, I hate it, but I love it.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    P90x is a great workout and within 90 days your building physical and mental strength. The 90 is the number of days your working out on the program. Each day your working a different body part, and working out for 90 minutes a day if you include the abs workout. Your using your own body weight, pushups, pullups, dumbells, yoga mat, and a chair. The program is suppose to be run 90 days in a row, which is where the mental part comes in. You have to push yourself to push play everyday and even when your muscles are telling you it hurts (1st week)

Every 3 weeks your run a cycle for the first month, recovery week (not resting on the couch), 3 weeks on a different cycle, recovery week (not the couch), rotate between the 3 week cycles for 3 weeks and recovery week (not the couch).

Your also doing yoga, kick boxing, jump training, cardio, core, and abs.

The comment about you must be in good physical shape I disagree with. However, you do have to have a strong mental capacity to make yourself do it and want to do it.

My wife and I completed it, and completed many workouts at 6am and 11pm, to make sure we did the days. We are now on our second round, and this has given me the confidence of signing up for a tough mudder race. www.toughmudder.com race with additional training in December, and I am using p90x to help in my training.

You build cardio endurance your not even aware your building. 2 weeks after completing p90x and just a few runs I ran 3 miles in 27 1/2 minutes.

If your serious about your health and love to workout order it. If you think working out for 20-30 minutes a day is a great workout, dont order it.

Send me a message if you have additional questions.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    nukehiker: I know where you are coming from but I can tell you DON'T skip the YogaX! After you start doing it it gets better and I can honestly say that it is the DVD that helps me the most. The stretching and balance/core work is invaluable. The more you do it the better you become and the more it helps you.

Week 5 Day 5 Complete for me today! - Core Synergistics - So far the hardest DVD of the bunch!