colorado monsoon

Options
kaitimae
kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
Good morning Fitness Peeps!

How are all my Colorado Pals holding up today? Did anyone get caught in the torrential downpour yesterday? Is everyones cars/homes/trees/families/friends etc. okay? Any crazy stories?

It took me an hour longer than usual to get home last night (usually takes 15-20 minutes, instead was 1h20m), and I had to take 3 detours. I went through some pretty deep places but thankfully did not get stuck - just had to take a creative and roundabout way back to my house.

Here is a link to the Denver Post pictures from yesterday - incredible!
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2011/07/severe-thunderstorm-soaks-denver-area/?utm_medium=facebook

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    the weather was crazy yesterday, not to mention on wednesday. didnt take me much longer to get home..considering I stopped for a drink..LOL
  • pmorgan813
    pmorgan813 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm up in Longmont so we didn't get any massive flooding or anything like 9 news was showing in Denver. Although, it did cause my lawn to be too wet to mow :(
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I got caught in some pretty heavy rain coming home. I work at I-70 & Pena at the start of the corridor that goes up to DIA, and we tend to get hit by quite a few of the thunderstorm systems that come through. Thankfully nothing eventful happened, though I did see quite a few very serious lightening strikes (the kind that last for more than just a split second) that were very close. I purposely avoided one possible route home because it has a low-lying stretch of the road that floods easily.
  • kaitimae
    Options
    I got caught in some pretty heavy rain coming home. I work at I-70 & Pena at the start of the corridor that goes up to DIA, and we tend to get hit by quite a few of the thunderstorm systems that come through. Thankfully nothing eventful happened, though I did see quite a few very serious lightening strikes (the kind that last for more than just a split second) that were very close. I purposely avoided one possible route home because it has a low-lying stretch of the road that floods easily.

You know, I was halfway home on I-70 before I thought about major road flooding... and even thinking about it now, I don't think there is a way for me to get home without having to go downhill! I go under an overpass no matter which way I go, and those were what were getting the worst flooding!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Not much happened in Castle Rock, and thankfully I left work in time to miss any of the heavy rain up here in Denver.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I was over by DU, so not quite south enough to really get caught in the nastiness. But I have to be thankful for it because WE NEED THE RAIN!
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I lost a couple tomato plants (that crazy wind just flattened them, poor things), but fortunately all the trees held. I'm in Arvada, and we had some pretty awesome road flooding. I was so glad that I got my run in during the beautiful morning sunshine. Apparently, we're supposed to get another round of storms this afternoon--don't forget your umpbrellas!
  • lisadhancock
    lisadhancock Posts: 103
    Options
    nothing crazy north of Fort Collins! But the news photos of Denver look crazy.
  • kaitimae
    Options
    I lost a couple tomato plants (that crazy wind just flattened them, poor things), but fortunately all the trees held. I'm in Arvada, and we had some pretty awesome road flooding. I was so glad that I got my run in during the beautiful morning sunshine. Apparently, we're supposed to get another round of storms this afternoon--don't forget your umpbrellas!

Yeah I work in the Wheat Ridge/Arvada area... too bad about the tomato plants... at least they were not trees falling on your house, haha! I have read some things about that happening. Hopefully today is not as bad as yesterday... would love to be able to run outside, but planning to do an indoor workout tonight haha.