WHAT DO I DO????

Options
tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
Ok, so I feel off the wagon for about 5 weeks and gained 17 lbs in those 5 weeks. Just this last Monday I got back on track and have lost a little over 4lbs since then.
Where I live, once a year, there is a 3 day outdoor concert and while I was off the wagon I bought a ticket ($100), but I know if I go it will be a 3 day binge eating/drinking fest for myself.
So what would you do?

If you think I can go and control myself, you're wrong lol. I have no self control. I GAINED 17 lbs in 5 weeks for petes sake! So going to this thing is basically saying that there will be NO EXERCISE and VERY UNHEALTHY habits for the weekend.

So if you're of the opinion that I should just go and remain on my healthy track then I don't want your opinion. I'm just wondering what others would do knowing that this will ruin what I've just gotten back and that I've already bought the ticket and it's non refundable.

Replies

• jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It boils down to you deciding what's more important to you... Only you can make that decision.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Honestly you have to realize that life is hard, and it sucks sometimes. You have to have control. Maybe try a eat good all day then reward yourself at night.. Weight loss is hard, and you have to struggle through it.. There is no magic solution...
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    It boils down to you deciding what's more important to you... Only you can make that decision.

I agree with this. You could also sell the ticket on Craigslist.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ***To eat good all day
  • Amy619
    Amy619 Posts: 15
    Options
    Plan your meals bring your own stuff to eat in a backpack. Try to drink water instead of soda and sugary stuff. If you consume alcohol try and go with the light. Thats what Id do anyway ;)
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just did 7 days of concerts, food, and drinking, but drank a ton of water, only gained half a pound. all the walking around will help, and you should be ok
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So if you're of the opinion that I should just go and remain on my healthy track then I don't want your opinion.

Wow. Just ... wow. Sounds like you know what you know, but you want to be told what you want to hear.

No 3 days is going to 'ruin' anything. It's your mentality that is most striking to me ... I'll start AFTER this weekend ... which turns in to AFTER this party ... and then AFTER my birthday ... and then AFTER happy hour tonight .... and on and on. I've been there, so I get it.

Make your decisions and live with the consequences. You know what you need to do.
  • mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    I advise you do go..but dont set yourself up to fail!! if it is possible, can you take some food with you???? I dont think you should deprive yourself of things you love. Have some faith in yourself!! Give it a try!!!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would try to sell the ticket.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    So if you're of the opinion that I should just go and remain on my healthy track then I don't want your opinion. I'm just wondering what others would do knowing that this will ruin what I've just gotten back and that I've already bought the ticket and it's non refundable.

Well, if you don't plan on sticking to a healthier diet then what are you doing here?

Anyway, if it were my case I would find alternative sources of food that were healthier ( make my own, go somewhere else, whatever ). Sometimes at my work they serve pizza or cake during special meetings. I opt to pack my own lunch and eat that instead. If you really want to lose weight then you're just going to have to build up some kind of determination and stick to the diet no matter what's placed in front of you.
  • clancie518
    clancie518 Posts: 40
    Options
    ok.. so this is my thinking.... we want to lose weight. we have no self control( otherwise we wouldn't be on MFP). we have to eat to live and this is not a diet, its a life style change. they tell us that, but because we have always stopped dieting when we are at our goal or close to it and went right back up, right?.. so... first off.. THIS IS A LIFE SYLE CHANGE... we have to reprogram our brains to eat the right amount and the right foods most of the time, however... we can't stop living and doing the things we enjoy because thats no way to live... if it was me.. I would do the best I could while I was home and when that concert came... I would go... so GO.. try to make the right choices, but don't beat yourself up if you don't. and when you get back commit yourself to changing the way your brain thinks about food.. chances are if you start to commit to changing your brain now, when your at the concert you will make a few good choices that you wouldn't had made before... it takes time, so good luck and have fun at your concert....
  • frenchiep87
    frenchiep87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have goals in your weight loss but don't necessarily have all the tools to take control of creating a healthy life for yourself. The fact that you said "I have no self control" is concerning because that is one of the main symptoms in regard to weight gain. My doctor and nutritionist have told me time and time again no matter how much you exercise, without proper diet and nutrition you are always going to "battle the bulge." Having that finally sink in I've had to sit back and critically examine my eating habits and actively work to change them. Gaining control of what and how much you eat will be a big stride in this journey you are in. I would encourage you to faithfully use the food diary tool myfitnesspal has provided. However, I would charge to take this a step forward and actually take notes of what you are thinking/doing/feeling around those times that you are eating, especially binge eating. There you will find the root to why there is a problem of control. Use the note section on the food diary page and log these reactions. For example, I have found out that I like sweets after a meal because it's a habit that has been instilled in me since I was a child. I also stress eat on carbohydrates and fried potatoes. Identifying that and recognizing that everytime I'm tempted helps me to make better food choices. I'm not saying that it's easy, because it's not. Taking this once step at a time and being conscious of what steps you are taking are a key factor in your weight loss success. Good luck to you and remember, take it one day at a time because this is a process!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I would think that the answer to this is obvious, if you can't trust yourself sell the ticket. Also, you need to start (in smaller ways) embracing your self control. You don't live in a bubble, so at some point you're going to have to learn how to be in a tempting environment and make good decisions, otherwise you're not going to succeed because you're always going to feel limited and left out.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would try to sell the ticket.

That's what I was going to say. Sell your 100$ ticked and go buy some really healthy food and do something you find fun but it's an activity, swimming, boating whatever you want.