Alcohol - Weight loss

Options

Replies

• kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    if you like more of a "girly" drink you can always take a flavored vodka and mix it with water. i think it is somewhere around 70 cals. my favorite is the raspberry or mandarin. also, i have had the whipped cream vodka with diet root beer= awesome!
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    With summer and every weekend being parties of all types its harder to not have a drink. I try to stick with Saturdays I have 1 or 2. But no more then that and I become sober cab. I like bud select tried it this weekend. And I think with a lime it would be amazing!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I drink one beer a day because its good for you (despite what some may say). Anything over one beer is counterproductive. I drink Michelobe Ultra or Shiner Blonde Light - both are around 95 calories. If you hit happy hour, just make sure you do cardios before you hit the bar. You put your body into high burn mode so your body will just burn the extra calories quickly. One day a week to splurge wont kill you. Just monitor your weight and if you start to gain weight (over a weeks time) then cut out the happy hour until you reach a goal (lets say, 10 pounds lost goal). That way its a reward :smile:
    oooooooooooo i love me some shiner!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink one beer a day because its good for you (despite what some may say). Anything over one beer is counterproductive. I drink Michelobe Ultra or Shiner Blonde Light - both are around 95 calories. If you hit happy hour, just make sure you do cardios before you hit the bar. You put your body into high burn mode so your body will just burn the extra calories quickly. One day a week to splurge wont kill you. Just monitor your weight and if you start to gain weight (over a weeks time) then cut out the happy hour until you reach a goal (lets say, 10 pounds lost goal). That way its a reward :smile:

"Anything over one beer is counterproductive" to what? One beer ... really?? Why even bother?
  • jessicaeocon
    Options
    THANK YOU for all the suggestions!!!! :)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I also have a really hard time with this, especially since in my group of friends it's a social stigma not to drink.
    So usually I drink vodka and soda with lime or white wine spritzers. For my white wine spritzers I pour myself a big glass of wine at the beginning of the night, then I make spritzers out of that and it's my limit for the night.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. What I do is white wine spritzers. Half the wine and club soda has no calories.
    And drink slower than you used to. Mix in a water from time to time if it is a long night.

Other way to get your friends to not bother you about it is to offer to be the DD.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Try Bud Premier 55, if you're not a gourmet beer drinker. But put it in a glass. You don't have to be a walking advertisement for them. The factor of your small size suggests you stay away from hard stuff like vodka.

Vodka can be enjoyed by all. I opt for Three Olives Cherry and club soda with an orange slice. Yum! :)
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea...when I drink wine, I can pretty much drink a bottle over the course of the night...a spritzer may be just what I need.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok.. not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Alcohol will slow your metabolism down by 1/3 for 24 hours. Anyone else heard of this?
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love beer, but since I started here at MFP, I have been making wine spritzers. I put 2 ounces of wine in a tall glass filled with ice, and top with Fresca or some other diet lemon/lime soda. Delicious!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok.. not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that Alcohol will slow your metabolism down by 1/3 for 24 hours. Anyone else heard of this?

Not exactly. When you consume alcohol your body has to metabolize it as a priority because there is no where to store it. So other foods you ingest will be metabolized after the alcohol. But your metabolism hasn't actually changed, it's just change priorities.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Vodka and Water FTW....Thats been my drink for ages. It helps with the hangovers also lol
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Vodka and diet cherry coke ♥ yum!

I've never understood what club soda is (Brit here!), is it different to carbonated water?
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Think about it this way... Alcohol slows down fat burning. Ask yourself is it really worth it? How often do you go out for drinks? When you go out... how much do you drink? Think about those questions... Calculate up your calories at the bar. I bet you would be a bit astonished. I try to limit myself to 1 drink max once a week... if that. I also only drink for special occasions. I also offer to drive so I can have the excuse not to drink.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA360805

Are you never going to drink again??? No...

Would it be more beneficial to cut it out till you reach your goal??? Yes...

Is that realistic??? Depends on you...

GOOD LUCK!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Hard alcohol makes me ill so I stick with light beer. Coors light generally.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I still drink my wine, but I've had to add extra exercise to combat the calories.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Not exactly. When you consume alcohol your body has to metabolize it as a priority because there is no where to store it. So other foods you ingest will be metabolized after the alcohol. But your metabolism hasn't actually changed, it's just change priorities.

Yup - this is what my personal trainer said too, your body goes for the alchohol first, and then will eventually get to the food.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I adore alcohol! I love wine and cocktails. I don't really do beer, though. I am probably slowing down my weight loss, but I'm happier by budgeting a little room for them both in what I eat and how I exercise. I still go over my totals on the weekends - sometimes by quite a lot - but I'm pretty saintly during the week. So I'm continuing to sustain slow weight loss while still getting to drink on weekends. I'm sure it would be much faster if I weren't drinking, but I don't get much opportunity to get out (or stay in and mix drinks) with my friends when I'm on my full-time work/full-time school schedule, so I'll just enjoy it while I can.

That said, make sure you don't go for greasy food afterwards... if your friends need to hit a diner after drinking, don't let that tempt you into getting something bad, no matter how alluring that 2 a.m. fried food sounds and tastes after a night of drinking... stick to veggies and omelets...
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options
    Vodka and diet cherry coke ♥ yum!

I've never understood what club soda is (Brit here!), is it different to carbonated water?

It's the same thing. In the US, soda water is often confused with tonic (even by bartenders!), which is loaded with sugar.