Want some others opinions.....

Options
jvkh127
jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
So I am trying to watch my cholesterol due to recent blood tests being just above normal level. I am noticing I am always low on saturated fat (less than 10 grams a day) and cholesterol (between 50 and 130 mg a day). However, my fat intake totals are usually close to or meeting the daily goals of 49 grams. I know this means it is essentially the good fats, but I can't seem to lower them also and I don't know if I should be trying to. I know our body needs fat, but if I am trying to lose weight should I be meeting this fat goal? Am I worrying too much????

Replies

• anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Three things that I would recommend to lower cholesterol (the bad kind) Eating oatmeal daily, eating almonds, and taking a fiber supplement (benefiber or something like this)

All three of these things will lower the bad levels of cholesterol.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    how are your trans fats? That is the fat you should be watching. If you eat a lot of processed foods, it can also be a factor. How is your sugar intake? If you eat a lot of foods with high refined sugars (not whole fruit sugar) then that can affect your cholesterol as well.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    So I am trying to watch my cholesterol due to recent blood tests being just above normal level.
    How far above normal? What are your HDL and LDL levels? Those are the important numbers.
  • jvkh127
    Options
    So I am trying to watch my cholesterol due to recent blood tests being just above normal level.
    How far above normal? What are your HDL and LDL levels? Those are the important numbers.

Not much LDL is 125 HDL is 48. Total 194. But I want to be proactive and worry now instead of when it is extremely high.
  • jvkh127
    Options
    how are your trans fats? That is the fat you should be watching. If you eat a lot of processed foods, it can also be a factor. How is your sugar intake? If you eat a lot of foods with high refined sugars (not whole fruit sugar) then that can affect your cholesterol as well.

I am always at zero on my trans fat!! Sugar I usually meet the goals and most times over. Almost always sugar from fruits and veggies but about 15-20 grams the most of refined sugar sometimes. I know I should lower this but I like peanut butter and strawberry preserves as a snack : (
  • kbarker69
    kbarker69 Posts: 14
    Options
    My cholesterol has been up and down over the years. I did two things to lower it and it worked to the tune of over 16 points! I ate oatmeal every morning (the old fashioned kind) and I avoided Canola Oil like the plague. I read an article one time that convinced me to stay as far away from it as possible and I've never looked back. :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Exercise - worked for me!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I used to have cholesterol in the 300s, then I went on Atkins and it lowered to 167. Once I started eating carbs again it went back up. Now I eat carbs, but try to avoid simple and refined sugars and still am usually relatively low. My cholesterol was 214 (non-fasting) when I donated blood acouple of months ago--I am going tomorrow to donate again so I will see in a couple of days how I'm doing--I'm hoping to be below 200 now that I'm eating so much better and running again.