Eating Exercise Cals

Options
KQmom
KQmom Posts: 29 Member
I hit a terrible 3 month plateau and realized after losing almost 30 lbs that I just was not going to lose any more weight until I started a serious exercise routine. So about a month ago I started going to the gym 3x's a week along with walking and other moderate exercise throughout the week. I took the advice of mfp and many users and ate the extra cals, thinking it would boost my metabolism and I would still lose weight. After 3 weeks, I had absolutely NO results. This week I decided, something has got to give, and I stopped eating my exercise cals... I lost 4lbs!!!!!!!!!! So, am I the only one with this issue? I won't be eating exercise cals until I lose my last 20 lbs, it just doesn't work for me...

Replies

• luvmy2babies
    luvmy2babies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I heard that too, but I try not to eat my excerise calories, unless I absolutely need too.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    Most of the time I use my exercise calories as a buffer. Just remember that the extra caloried "earned" from exercise are approximate. You could have been going over your calories from adding all of them in.
    Hope this helps.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you. I never eat back all the exercise calories, and I earn TONS of them (6700 last week) . So far so good. I would say that 3x a week for exercise (the gym) is a little light. I would look to step up to a minimum of 5x a week, and a minimum 4 - 500 calories per session (2000-2500 per week). Good luck.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    The to eat/not eat burn cals argument will never be solved as it is how you feel as an individual. For every report you find saying don't eat back, you'll find one that says you must! I tend to eat around a 1000 of my daily 2200+ burn, which suits me fine.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Some days I'll eat half my extra ones but I am at a stand still too. I have only lost 1lb in the last two weeks. I work out 5 days a week. I still have my cals set for 1200-1250 but even if I eat extra I am still only eating 1400 calories for the day. I need help with this one. Maybe I'll stop eating them too. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • missjaiy
    missjaiy Posts: 58
    Options
    I'd say look at the entire picture. Calories are more than the number noted on the nutrition label. If you're foods contain more sodium and sugar, then your metabolism will not respond that same as taking in more fiber and protein. So make sure your intake is proportionate to what your body needs to see results.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I don't eat exercise calories back and I am losing. However, if and when I plateau out then I will change it up and try eating some or all back and see if the weight continues to drop. Do what's working for your body.