How many calories to LICK a popcorn bag?

i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering if the calories on a box of popcorn take into account licking the bag.

My favorite part of eating popcorn is working my way through the popcorn, and getting to enjoy licking the bag xD

The problem is, I am having a difficult time determining how many calories I am taking in.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    ROFL!

That's a good question! If those calories include everything in the bag (and they probably DO!), if I DON'T lick the bag, do I get to subtract those calories?
  • i_love_vinegar
    ROFL!

That's a good question! If those calories include everything in the bag (and they probably DO!), if I DON'T lick the bag, do I get to subtract those calories?

ANOTHER good question! We need answers Orvelle!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    The calorie content listed on the bag does not include licking the bag. If you lick the bag it's mostly fat and sodium, not sure exactly how much though.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    umm.. i'd say depending around how buttery the popcorn is and how well you lick anywhere from 50-250 calories
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    lol Its included in the calorie count... lol

I wouldn't worry about it...

The people at orville didn't figure out the calorie count in the buttery oil and in the popcorn and then cook a bag and try to determine how many calories were left on the inside of the bag. lol

Its included. lick away.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    The calorie content listed on the bag does not include licking the bag. If you lick the bag it's mostly fat and sodium, not sure exactly how much though.

See now, my train of thought was the opposite....I figured all the ingredients that went into the bag were counted in the calories and nutritional content and anything that got stuck to the bag and wasn't (or so I thought!) consumable was just "too bad so sad" for us. I didn't figure they cooked the popcorn as we would, then poured it out, then did the cals and info from that.

However licking the bag is pretty dedicated. My first thought when I saw the post title was "awww, this is a tough day for someone if they're licking the bag." LOL!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    about tree fiddy :drinker:
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    LOL, yeah, you're going to need to take into account your licking skills/ thoroughness when calculating those calories....
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    When the manufacturer assembles the ingredients to put in the bag of popcorn they have no way to know what adheres to the popcorn and what adheres to the bag during the popping stage. Therefore I say that everything inside of the bag, as well as the stuff you lick off, has already been included in the calorie count.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    This is so funny because I always lick my popcorn bag!!! I get the pop secret 100 calorie 94%fat free kettle corn and seriously, licking the bag is the best part! It always has the extra sugary/salty stuff caked on the sides. YUM!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Ahahahaha. This is too funny!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

See now, my train of thought was the opposite....I figured all the ingredients that went into the bag were counted in the calories and nutritional content and anything that got stuck to the bag and wasn't (or so I thought!) consumable was just "too bad so sad" for us. I didn't figure they cooked the popcorn as we would, then poured it out, then did the cals and info from that.

However licking the bag is pretty dedicated. My first thought when I saw the post title was "awww, this is a tough day for someone if they're licking the bag." LOL!

They calculate the calories in foods as they expect people to eat them. They actually expect us to lick yogurt cups but for popcorn they pop a bag then dump it out and calculate it. The extra on the bag is considered waste product and not part of the calorie content listed on the label.
  • i_love_vinegar
    This is so funny because I always lick my popcorn bag!!! I get the pop secret 100 calorie 94%fat free kettle corn and seriously, licking the bag is the best part! It always has the extra sugary/salty stuff caked on the sides. YUM!

I LOVE that stuff -- I agree, it makes for great licking material.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    What if you eat the bag? That counts for extra fiber, right?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I wouldn't worry if you're eating the popcorn then licking the bag when you finish eating it. I would only worry if you were JUST licking the bag. :wink:

Although a good friend of mine who had gastric bypass was so desperate for something with flavor when she could only have liquid immediately after the surgery would dip her hand in a bag of Doritos and lick her fingers. And I can fully understand that. When I had my wisdom teeth out, and later when I had jaw problems and couldn't chew normally, I missed flavor so much, and was so sick of jello, pudding, soup and shakes. I still get a gag reflex at the thought of shakes.
  • i_love_vinegar

:laugh:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member

They calculate the calories in foods as they expect people to eat them. They actually expect us to lick yogurt cups but for popcorn they pop a bag then dump it out and calculate it. The extra on the bag is considered waste product and not part of the calorie content listed on the label.

How do you figure? did you read this somewhere?
  • i_love_vinegar

Hmmm...two different trains of thoughts. >_<
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member

I am loving this thread! serious and silly comments. love them all!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member

OMG - this is how I think too!!!!:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.