TOM Moan and it’s not about weight gain....

lucycaz
lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
OK Ladies (and men if you happen to be reading)

Its coming up to my TOM and I can cope with:-

• Feeling Bloated
• The scales adding a few pound
• The aching back
• The tummy cramps from hell

But what I can cope with is feeling so ravenous that even putting the cat food out made me salivate..... What is it with this mad hunger nothing seems to help...

Any suggestions? (other than eat more.....)

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Do a search on this topic. There's a lot of info out there. Cravings are not unusual and there is some argument for satisfying them within reason...

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Iron and fish oil supplements.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    try eating nori idk how to spell it but it is seaweed. you can get it at health good stores-- it suppresses your hunger.

but yes. i have a huge problem with it. Try drinking a lot of fluids. and eating clean.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    I get ravenous, too. And it's funny, because while most women crave chocolate and sweets, I totally crave red meat. Steak and burgers... I just go with it, and make sure that whatever I eat is as healthy as possible (and drink lots of water). I've never had any adverse effects.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    What I have noticed about cravings is they attack when you're tired and need energy and you're not prepared for them. So what I did to stave off the not prepared, I picked up a digital food scale (way better then a manual one) .. and some munchies, like my thing is ice cream, which i dont usually allow myself to have. So when I had a craving i'd measure out one serving, maybe two depending on calories, etc. and enjoy every last bit of it. If it looks smalll get a smaller dish so it looks bigger and don't wolf it down...

The other thing make sure you get sleep. That is huge for offsetting cravings, and thats not just a TOM issue thats an every day every body issue. Its amazing what you notice about your bodies reactions to things when you pay attention to it.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Get somebody else to feed the cat.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    you may think I am nuts but exercising makes me feel better - I do take a pills(advil/motrin) 30minutes before. and lots of water ...

I ignore the added weight because there is a reason for it.
    the exercising helps with the rest..

Take care!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I went through this yesterday. I ate ALL morning. I just tried to make sure it was relatively healthy and in pre-measured amounts and then I made sure to burn some extra calories after work to compensate. I also find that sitting on my exercise bike and watching TV keeps me from the eating I might be doing if I was just sitting on the sofa. Double benefits!

Scale still went up a little yesterday, but today I'm doing much better, no munchie cravings at all.
  • brattyworm

this causes fat kitties...... i left mine with a friend for two weeks and they put on something like 2 lbs each in those two weeks.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    I'm firmly in the 'eat more' camp. My body is under siege (lol!) and needs that extra bit of fuel. I try to add some extra protein in - this will be the time I have a steak for dinner for example. The thing I don't do is go out to eat (hellooooo mcdonalds!) or cruise the grocery store aisles (yup, I'm pretty sure I do need those 3 jumbo bags of lays and 2 lbs of licorice) without a list!
  • SkimosGirl
    SkimosGirl Posts: 13

Had to be from a man LOL :tongue:
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    I get ravenous, too. And it's funny, because while most women crave chocolate and sweets, I totally crave red meat. Steak and burgers... I just go with it, and make sure that whatever I eat is as healthy as possible (and drink lots of water). I've never had any adverse effects.

Me too!!! I think it is because I am lacking iron during my TOM. I totally go with it and enjoy every bite of it!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    I can totally relate! I used to satisfy those cravings with chocolate... Hershey's Kisses, chocolate chip cookies, candy bars, granola bars, brownies, anything sweet- i ate it... and i'm not talking small amounts either! This is my first month on MFP and I'm proud to say I'm right now at this moment feeling ravenous due to TOM. I've been loading up on water, which has helped a lot, but not quite enough to satisfy me. A few minutes ago I went for the green leaf lettuce... it must have been what my body (or is that mind?) needed because the cravings have finally been subdued! :-)

Best of luck!
  • hi im glad exercise makes you feel better .i feel the same when i exercise .im suffer from headaches alot but when im exercising the pain goes away .i told a friend of mine but she didnt believe me when i said exercise makes you feel better/so its nice to know im not on my own in this :smile: :smile:
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member

If you are craving red meat at TOM, it usually means your body needs more iron.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member

What? I'm educating myself here. I now know what TOM is. :laugh:
  • brattyworm

What? I'm educating myself here. I now know what TOM is. :laugh:

there are male cat lovers, my two cats are actually my husbands... the dog is mine.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    I get absolutely ravenous too... and I always wonder why... then it finally sinks in... I've been starting to hit that time where it will all be over.. (thank goodness) ... but guess what, the symptoms are still there! Good luck to you. I've never been very good and figuring out what will reduce the hunger... nothing seems to be exactly what I want at those times.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think there is a lot of info on this but your metabolism supposed ramps up prior to your period and you really are hungrier. but I know what you are talking about and for me it is ridiculous. salty/sweet/salty/sweet repeat repeat repeat and I am not really even hungry. I just feel compelled to eat.

That has been my biggest obstacle to getting this regained 20lbs off. My best friend who was with me for all of my weight loss said "what did you do during the 3 years you spent losing 160lbs" and after I thought about it I went out and bought some jerky and some protein bars. I now have protein at every meal and snack, always. That has solved it for me, so far. Last month was the first month and I lost 9lbs. I am having PMS right now, due in about a week and I have not eaten anyones leg or the catfood either so far.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    I'm dealing with all of the bloating and cravings right now too, and they show in my food journal and on the scale, lol. Exercise, protein, and lots of water help me. Which I say while I consider eating chips and ice cream for dinner. BAD.
This discussion has been closed.