Counting fat grams?

Options
Has anyone tried counting fat grams instead of calories? A local weight loss clinic told me that I could either count calories or fat grams within a day. I wonder if I'd do better counting fat grams, since I seem to be failing miserably at the calorie thing. Just curious if there is a website like myfitnesspal for counting fat grams. I would also like to know if anyone knows how much exercise would equate to a fat gram ... like eating back calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I could eat VERY low fat and still consume too many calories for the day. I don't see how that would be helpful.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    agree with jamie1888, my fat is close to nothing ~20 and i usually get close to calorie ceiling..
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Think of all the calories you could consume eating fruit all day..... very little fat, LOTS of calories and sugar!

And for the record, sacrificing fats means little or no avocado, nuts, salmon, olive oil, etc. All healthy fats!! Fat is your friend! :bigsmile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    For me counting carbs works better. I don't "lowcarb" but I do reduce them. Mine are kept at about 100 grams or less a day. This gives me enough that I can have fruits and vegetables but I'm still losing. My belly fat is shrinking faster this way than when I did lowfat/higher carbs and I never feel out of control hungry. Just a thought (and I do count calories as part of this. I'm not just having a bacon free for all!)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty similar to knittnponder, in that I do keep my carb intake pretty low (no grains or added sugars, and limited processed foods), and my fat and protein intakes higher. I'm really full all the time, and honestly have to plan meals so that I get enough calories in a day. Otherwise, I easily hover around 8-900.
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my fat grams around 120-160 for the day.

Yep, you heard that right. I'm told it's actually better to aim higher.

Carbs around 50-100, no wheat, no beans, and no refined sugars.

Protein somewhere around 100.

And I don't need to kill myself with exercise to lose weight. It drops.