Scale won't move

Options
Hi, I am so frustrated because the scale just won't move and I am not overeating , eating junk food somewhat, but keeping under the 1200 calories, have been trying for almost 3 weeks..please help...

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your calories that you burned for exercise?
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out the junk food, make sure you're measuring everything so as to make sure you're being 100% accurate on your diary. If that doesn't work, try upping your calories a bit. If THAT doesn't work, you should see a doctor and/or nutritionist to figure out the best plan for you: macronutrient percentages, calorie goal, etc.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Staying under 1200 calories will be putting your body into starvation mode! To lose, you need to eat more. Trust me, it happened to me and I ate more, around 1300 calories a day, and I lost just over 2lb in a week, but hadn't lost for the previous 2 weeks.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    does your belt move?
  • KMcBandit
    KMcBandit Posts: 65
    Options
    Up your calories to 1450 i did and it's working.
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Why is it that this is always the first issue people bring up? Do we even know she's exercising? Maybe she is using a faulty tool to calculate how many calories she's losing and is eating too much. Maybe the junk food is to blame. Maybe more protein/veggies and better food choices are needed. It's tough to say exactly what's going on since we don't have enough information.

Edit: all the people telling her to eat more have no idea if that is a viable solution. I hate these posts because everyone thinks that they're an expert and just because something worked for them it will work for someone else. Everyone is different!
  • TinaA72
    TinaA72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All I can add is to hang in there!!! I know it is frustrating. I just overcame a plateau of my own recently. So... don't give up keep trying. Calories may be a little low ; may try 1300 or so. See if it gets you over the hump. Just remember, we all hit plateaus during weight loss but the difference is perseverance. Those of us who do will ultimately succeed!!!
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Think about this: Eating a large number of apples is the same as eating a small portion of chips. However, only one apple is a serving size. It's not just about how many calories you eat, but also about nutrient density. Junk food is not sufficient enough in necessary vitamins and minerals to provide your body with the supplement it needs while falling under a certain calorie limit. You want to eat small meals more frequently, therefore you need to make smart choices on what foods you eat. Limit your junk food intake. Make it your snack of the day, but don't eat it so frequently that it appears in every meal.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    ok so you've mentioned you're not overeating but you're eating junk food somewhat...
    how's your fitness? Are you exercising or just expecting to lose weight by eating less?
    Weight loss is a balance of eating right and exercise.
    Also, are you drinking water? (at least 8 8oz. glasses) more if you're consuming
    a lot of sodium.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I had trouble losing at 1200 calories. I upped mine to around 1320; I also tried to eat more protein then carbs. You can adjust the percentage of calories from carbs and protein in your MFP goals to keep track. This helped me.

Best of luck!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be under 1200. 1200 is the min. How much protein are you eating? 65 grams or more? How about your water? 64oz at least?

Next I would ask about your exercise, fat, carbs and sodium levels. Hard to comment since your diary isn't available.

At 64, you might want to check with your Doctor to make sure he doesn't want you to follow a specialized plan.

Be pateint, it takes time, limit your proceessed foods and sometime you lose inches and not pounds.

It will happen!
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Why is it that this is always the first issue people bring up? Do we even know she's exercising? Maybe she is using a faulty tool to calculate how many calories she's losing and is eating too much. Maybe the junk food is to blame. Maybe more protein/veggies and better food choices are needed. It's tough to say exactly what's going on since we don't have enough information.

No hatin' on input. :C
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public... 'settings - diary settings' and we'll have a look. Don't lose heart, your in the right place and theres lots of support available here.

Drink lots of water and try to replace the junk food for more nutritious items.

Are you exercising?
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ugh I totally feel for you!! I've been at my workout for 8 complete weeks and haven't budged 1 pound on the scale!! Now thats disheartening!! I'm just about ready to give up! I have my weight loss set to 2 pounds a week now because when I was at 1 and 1/2 pounds my weight was staying stable so I thought i was eating too much! I mean I feel like I eat more now because of the cals I have to eat back!

I hope you are able to find something that works for you and that you can see a change.

Try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred... u mighten lose anything on the scale but you'll lose cms around the tummy and thighs. I lost about 2cms around the tummy already in 2 months.
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a few weeks of consistency for your body to know that you're serious about losing weight. The most important thing is to stick with it. Make sure you make healthy food choices and are exercising a few times each week. It will start to come off, little by little. Remember, the quicker you lose it, the quicker you put it back on. The slower and steadier your weight loss is, the better the chance that you will keep it off for good!

Keep your head up!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options

Edit: all the people telling her to eat more have no idea if that is a viable solution. I hate these posts because everyone thinks that they're an expert and just because something worked for them it will work for someone else. Everyone is different!

When you put up post you should be expecting for respones,even if you dont like them.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    As for the eating more answer, i find that it's a very viable option. Many people, myself including, end up thinking "if i eat less and less, ill lose more and more", when it really doesnt work that way. Lots of us have found the scales not moving, then we eat MORE, and they go down. All people are doing is suggesting ideas, not saying its a surefire answer.

Its hard to wrap our heads around we need to eat MORE to LOSE weight. It just doesnt compute, although those that have tried it have found it often works.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's time to kiss the junk food good-bye?? While the calories may be under your goal, you may be consuming too many of the wrong, sabotaging things.... like sodium or sugar or saturated fat. If your body is trying to regulate your insulin levels, for example, it may be some time before the scale moves again.....so what would happen if you take the junk out?

I understand, once in a while is probably not going to hurt you..... but it's not going to help you. It will be a give and take.

Best of luck.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What exactly would be the point of asking for help if you don't, you know, want advice?? :tongue:
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel! i actually gained a lb in 3 weeks, even tho i thought i was doing pretty good. so then i took my measurements and compared them against 3 weeks ago to discover i had actually lost 3.5 inches! so my body is losing, even if the scale doesn't prove it, the tape-measure does. maybe try taking measurements?