What can I do?! [Please be constructive:)]

2»

Replies

• beefluv86
    beefluv86 Posts: 86 Member
    I know you don't want us to judge the foods you eat, but it's probably one of the problems. Hardee's, Chick-Fil-A, Pizza Hut, Wendy's...don't get me wrong, there are good choices to be had at these and other fast food restaurants--but only if you take advantage of them sparingly. Fast food (which really means incredibly processed food) does not fuel your body the way fresh food does. It contains much more sodium and much more fat that it ought to; it simply isn't good for you.

I know that this can be a hard habit to break--because fast food is wonderfully convenient--but this is what I did in the beginning. I went without all fast food, sweets, cookies, cakes, whatever for thirty whole days. I considered it a sort of "detox" period, where I reset my body's cravings for all of these things. So for thirty days I didn't eat a single piece of chocolate or eat out anywhere. And you know, it really helped. I now eat out only when I absolutely have to (or when I have a "cheat meal", which occurs maybe once every two weeks), and it has made a world of difference in how I feel and how much weight I lose.

Other than that, everything everyone else says is accurate--weigh and measure everything that you put in your mouth. Seriously. It is depressingly easy to underestimate what you're eating. More fruits and vegetables, too.

A heart rate monitor for accurate calorie burn is also useful, but so far I've done without it (they're expensive). If your workout feels too easy, or if you're bored, or if you're not sweating as much as last week, kick it up a notch. So far it's worked for me.

Good luck!

Hmm, this maybe just what I need. I am really struggling to kick this Sweet Tea habit, and the Mio one just sends me running back to regular.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    At 2lbs its 1200, at 1.5 its 1220, and at 1lb its 1500. I always eat back the majority of my exercise calories, if not all. I use an HRM so I believe my calorie burns are pretty accurate. I exercise some where between 2 and 4 times a week for 20-45 minutes. I know I could use some consistency but I figure that if even at my worst I am ziz-zagging my base maintenance calories so I should maintain the weight drops, not gain them back right?

When I first started, I had my settings set on sedentary and was exercising 60 minutes 3-4x per week - and I wasn't losing! I struggled for a long time with it. Once I found the below link, I set them to active AND started eating most of my exercise calories, the weight started to fall off!!! I truly believe (now) that you really need to feed/fuel your body!

**That being said, plan ahead. Eat healthy and try to stay away from fast food. But, if you have to eat it, log it and don't worry about it - do realize the sodium will probably make you retain water weight.

Here's the link I found which changed everything:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

***activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds.

If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary.

If you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. (THIS WOULD BE YOU!)

If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active.

If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball).

When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

~ ~ ~

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Thanks y'all. I am truly taking all of this in. I appreciate all of your suggestions, and will try to make the best of each one. :smile:
    This is a journey where we are always learning. :smile:
    I think you have to be honest with yourself.
    Other people had good suggestions but I did notice something that you probably should change.

You can change fiber to Sugar, and see how much sugar you are taking in.

Honestly. Your having cookies and or ice cream every night and a beer every night?
    if not every night then 5 out of the last 7 nights.
    Along with not much vegetables and some nights pizza.
    There are better choices out there.
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    not sure what your water intake is like..but i have found if i get anything LESS than 12 glasses a day my weight loss slows. *S*
    need lots of water for your body to function well and process the food/move it out *S*
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Have you tried playing with the carb/protein/fat ratios? I only went back a week or so but you'r getting most of your calories per day from carbs. You might be carb sensitive, and lots of people that are have a hard time losing when they eat 50% or more of their calories from carbs.

Try lowering your intake of carbs to 30% for a while, and eat more protein to make up the difference.

GL
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    When you eat better you will feel better and the weight will certainly come off. I wish you luck with your journey. Also, try not to eat back the exercise calories you gain.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    not sure what your water intake is like..but i have found if i get anything LESS than 12 glasses a day my weight loss slows. *S*
    need lots of water for your body to function well and process the food/move it out *S*
    I was going to mention upping the water as well. I know when I used to do fast foods in the past the sodium upped my weight like crazy and drinking a TON of water that day and a few days after helped a lot in flushing out all the sodium.

You might play around a bit and perhaps cut the fast food down to 3 days a week, no more than one meal a day of it. That's if you're eating it daily, if you're eating it occasionally figure out what you find yourself ordering and see if you can make a healthier version at home.

Chicken tenders can be dipped in egg and Panko bread crumbs and spray with a bit of Olive oil, seasoned and they come out very tender and tasty/crunchy but not greasy and full of extra fat and sodium.

We're all in the learning process no matter how long we've been around these parts, making small changes and sticking to them can help so much.

Not getting enough water in daily? How about concentrating on that for a week until you feel you've got that back under control. Make a game of it and it lessens the feel that it's work. Preplan your foods in your food diary for a couple days and see how that works, I know for myself it sure helps me make far healthier decisions because I see ahead of time what the day will look like.

I imagine you'll get all sorts of wonderful ideas from folks on h ere everyone is always willing to help out and encourage.

Good luck, you CAN do it!:wink::flowerforyou:

ETA: I recall you mentioned being on the WW program, I've heard via others on this list that have been members in the past that fruit, veggies etc. are considered free foods? If that's still true according to their program it might be time you experimented in your diary and began counting them as they do add up in carbs/cals etc. They offer great fiber but they most definitely have carbs and that's important to track in your diary so you don't go over. Just had that thought after I posted. :heart:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    When you eat better you will feel better and the weight will certainly come off. I wish you luck with your journey. Also, try not to eat back the exercise calories you gain.
    Some might but for others eating back some is important for fueling our bodies. Since MFP sets a calorie deficit when we join it does make a difference and does help some adding them back. For others if they find that doesn't help by all means the best thing we can do for ourselves is what works for US as individuals.:drinker:
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    At first glance, I too would say that a big part of the problem is the fast food and your choice of drinks. I am a sweet tea lover myself and I find that I am just as satisfied with an unsweet tea and sweet n low. It is definitely NOT the same and it does take some getting used to, but it is a lot better for you. I have cut most of that out of my diet and am only drinking water and treat myself to a soft drink every once in a while and maybe only half. I would try to eat more fruits, veggies, and lean meats and stay away from the fast food as much as possible. My family eats out only once a week and when we do I always try to keep my meal and drink under 500 calories. Good luck - I know it is discouraging not to lose, but at least you are being honest and logging your calories so you can see where the problem is and fix it!
  • beefluv86
    hi honey, I've been on this site for about 80 days now and lost about 16lbs. not a lot I know but it's been a steady weight loss.
    I really think if you keep to the calorie goals and exercise more, (and log the exercise) you really will lose weight. You have to weigh all your food so that you know you aren't overestimating stuff, believe me, it's really easy to do that!!!
    Just persevere, you'll do it if you want to.

Thats a great loss! Keep it up. I would love to accomplish this in my next 80!
  • beefluv86
    At first glance, I too would say that a big part of the problem is the fast food and your choice of drinks. I am a sweet tea lover myself and I find that I am just as satisfied with an unsweet tea and sweet n low. It is definitely NOT the same and it does take some getting used to, but it is a lot better for you. I have cut most of that out of my diet and am only drinking water and treat myself to a soft drink every once in a while and maybe only half. I would try to eat more fruits, veggies, and lean meats and stay away from the fast food as much as possible. My family eats out only once a week and when we do I always try to keep my meal and drink under 500 calories. Good luck - I know it is discouraging not to lose, but at least you are being honest and logging your calories so you can see where the problem is and fix it!

Thanks for noticing, lol. I log no matter what. The good, bad, and the ugly. I can say that the majority of the fast food is eaten when I give up ( ususally weekends). However, I like being accountable for the trash that goes in too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I think it all comes down to the quality of your calories. Less junk food, less sugar, MORE protein (25-30% of your diet), more fiber (25-30 grams per day) and if you're drinking soda or diet soda, stop. Drink nothing but water if you can.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    I'm not judging your eating habits, mine are far from wonderful, but they probably are adding to your problem. You can start making small changes that will end up as big changes in the long run. Order a small sweet tea instead of an large. Or a small fries instead of a medium or large. Or tell yourself that you are only going to eat out twice this week instead of every day. Things like that, you will be amazed with how much better you feel.
This discussion has been closed.