How many calories should I get while nursing...anyone??

Options
I am not sure how many calories I am suppose to get. I Have about 15lbs I would like to lose and I am nursing my 7 month old. I started at 1400 calories and was starving then I slowly moved them up to be satisfied. I am now up to 2000 calories. I weigh 161 and would like to be to 145. If anyone has some advice I would love to hear!!!!

Replies

• AmyBlu12
    AmyBlu12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Whatever MFP gives you, add 500 more to that. More calories...another great reason to breastfeed :smile:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you type in BREASTFEEDING under add foods it will give you a bunch of options.
    Rule of thumb is 500 calories up to 6 months; 300 calories from 6-12, and 200 calories after that (at least that's what I use).
    I'm still breastfeeding my 15 month old
    good luck- feel free to add me!
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    The location consultant when I had my son told me nursing can burn anywhere from 500-1000 cals per day. That's a very broad range, but maybe that will give you a better idea of what your body needs. Hope this helps a little.
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is supposed to burn up around 500 calories a day if you're nursing exclusively i.e. round the clock feeding/expressing, and no supplementing feeds. The exact number for you might be slightly different. But I would go by the calorie allowance MFP sets + 500
  • babybod
    babybod Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for all your input!!! I was eating way too many calories. I am now back on track and eating and feeding my baby. Good luck to everyone on their weight loss goals!