How do you break the eating habit?

Options
I can't stop eating. Lately I'm so addicted to food that I eat like a smoker smokes and I just can't stop. I sit and tell myself not to, I think about not doing it, and yet I still do.

I've never been this fat before. Not even pregnant. I don't know how to stop.

Replies

• Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Might be because you are bored. Stop thinking about food by doing something different. Read a good book or go for a bike ride, gym, hike, etc... When I am craving food and I know I am not hungry and I just want it, I stay away from the kitchen. I don't know if any of that helps but its worth a shot. Good Luck
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am a boredom eater, I get up to the fridge millions of times, so each time I get a glass of water instead of food. Not only its great and healthy, but it also helps the weight loss, makes me feel full, and helps me stay away form the food.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First of all, you HAVE to eat so we're not trying to stop that. :-) But what works for me when I get in those insatiable modes is to do a fast for @ day or so - having only water and/or juice. I'm feeling pretty normal/balanced after that.
    Not sure how much water you're drinking but you might wanna try increasing your water intake if it's not at at least 8 glasses a day. But do NOT starve yourself - there IS a difference between doing a mini fast (a day or so) to an all out "Hunger strike", so please take what I say in context...also note that I'm saying what works for "Me", but this method might not work for you. You may want to go see your Dr. & discuss it with them.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Find healthier, lower cal stuff to eat. Go for a walk, go play with your kids or your dog.

I read a book called Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, by Dr. Amen. He said some interesting things about obsession. I started counseling earlier this year for behavioral therapy regarding my own food demons. That hasn't fixed me completely, but I've been successful in making changes that I didn't think were possible for me to actually make.

Also, be kind to yourself. This is a process that is going to take a while for you to get through. And use all of us on MFP for support - we'll help any way that we can.
  • lauraleenaft
    Options
    i know what you are saying,I am now bigger than i was when i delivered my child three yrs ago! I just dont get out much,and i am bored so i feel that food is exciting. But it is not so exciting when i cant fit into my clothes anymore,and i look horrible in all my pictures! I am now trying to eat better and be active,today is one of those days i just cant get motivated. But i think everyone has those days,you just cant give up,keep trying,and good luck to you :)
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love eating too so I try to walk a LOT to counteract it. I stick to eating about 2000 calories a day so I walk enough to burn even more.

If you think there is a real addiction here, maybe you should see a doctor about it? If you're dealing with cravings like most people do, then work on some of the suggestions people on this site give you. But if nothing you can do controls your urges, maybe go see a doctor, maybe?

Best of luck! My dad's whole side of the family is overeaters and I have eaten entire large pizzas (and then some) by myself before so I know how that can feel.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I still eat all the time! I eat about 200 calories for breakfast and lunch and about 300 calories for dinner. The rest of my calories come from good low calories snacks in between my meals :)
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this as well. I get up and literally have to tell myself (many times per day) that food is fuel. I would eat when hungry, tired, bored, mad, sad. You name the emotion and i would eat. I started telling myself that "food is fuel" (sometimes having to repeat and repeat) and it has worked pretty well for me so far.
    If i do feel like bingeing, and i cant stop the feeling, i will binge on ice or watermelon or celery. Its not the same as say choc cake, but if I cannot stop the bingeing, at least i can be somewhat in control of how much damage control i need to do later. And i am hoping the binge urges stop (they have drastically reduced since i have been feeding my body better foods...it seems to crave better foods).

Good luck. :-)