How do you keep yourself from not being frustrated?

Options
Ever since the end of April I keep gaining and losing the same 4 pounds. I can not get below 199 to save my life. I was over 300 pounds and that weight came off pretty quick in fact in the last year I lost 97 pounds and I lost pretty much every single week. i have upped calories, stay at the target rate, chnage up cardio, upped protein, decreaesed carbs You name it. I drink water and green tea only. I drink at least 10 to 12 glasses daily. The only postive side is that since May 14th I have lost 3.5 inches off my waist. How do you keep from screaming, not being frustrated, and stay focused. It can make you want to give up at times.

Replies

• md921
    md921 Posts: 8
    Options
    You're losing @ 2lbs/week. Slow down - might help your frustration.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this might be the absolute weirdest thing ever, and I have no idea if this works for anyone else, but when I get stuck a night of drinking will start the weight loss again. Alcohol is supposed to be the worst thing for weight loss, but if I hang out with friends and have a few drinks once every week or two, it really helps me keep losing weight! I would love it if someone could explain this one to me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I've done the up and down with a few pounds SOOO many times in this journey. And it's so hard to not just throw in the towel. But, I kept going. I went online and googled to see if I was missing something. When I realized I was doing everything right, I just kept going. If you're losing inches, don't despair -- your body IS changing!

Also, sometimes taking a week long break from everything will boost your body back into weight loss. I know when I was working my butt off at the gym, watching every calorie I ate, etc and hit a plateau a week off to rest and heal would ALWAYS help.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Do not give up. Maybe lower your calories for a while and see if that helps.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Re-adjust your goals. You're trying to lose too fast. The closer you get to your goal the closer you have to eat to maintenance. There's a thread on here about it.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well... for me I have to stop and recognize that what I am doing is a long process. Sometimes things wont go the way you want them to along the way. But thats just anything, So I just remember to remind myself weather I lose or gain or remain the same weight that Every day and every week is a battle. not a War. Just because I might lose on a particular day. or a particular week doesn't mean the war is over!

The war only ends if you give up. So if you never give up you can never lose!
    Stay strong!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I keep motivated knowing that no matter what happens on the scale, I am living healthier than I used to. I am doing my body good by nourishing it well. I can't give that up for anything.
    Okay, so this might be the absolute weirdest thing ever, and I have no idea if this works for anyone else, but when I get stuck a night of drinking will start the weight loss again. Alcohol is supposed to be the worst thing for weight loss, but if I hang out with friends and have a few drinks once every week or two, it really helps me keep losing weight! I would love it if someone could explain this one to me.

Relaxing helps maybe? Alcohol does nothing but make me tired.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I lost so fast at first every week was always at least 1 pound to two sometimes 4 or six. These last 50 are kicking my butt when I was about 225 I noticed the lowest amount I ate was 1790, and I worked out 5 days a week, some days it was over 2000 and i still lost. Now I rarley eat more than 1700
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh and I do have it set to lose 1 pound at 1530 calories
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have to eat 1200 to lose... that's not much eating. Kinda gotta learn to take less interest in it :/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have to eat a lot of calories to lose weight and it has steadily gone up the closer to got to my goal weight. Now that I have surpassed my goal weight and am maintaining - I'm still eating a TON of calories (2200-2500 NET calories a day).

Play around with the numbers and see what happens.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I complement myself while looking in the mirror. Also I take pictures every 30 days and compare them. I see progress so my motivation stays high. I will just say, thank god for beachbody workout programs. They have changed my life an appearance like crazy.