bread.. rice.. or tortilla? which would be best..

Options
well im having trouble deciding which to cut back in my diet because i feel the need to have
at least one of these with watever it is im eating (well homemade dishes) in order to get full or not get hungry later on in the day
so i was wonderimg some people say if you cut back on tortillas and bread it makes a great difference so i have and have
only been sticking to rice (a decent portion) not a lot. but it making an impact on my calorie count i guess because i add vegetables
and such with it. any suggestions would really help! thanks :)

Replies

• nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Tortillas are just flour and fat. Stay away from them. Before MFP, I managed to drop 30 pounds and I mostly just stopped eating tortillas. I used to eat them everyday.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Tortillas are just flour and fat. Stay away from them. Before MFP, I managed to drop 30 pounds and I mostly just stopped eating tortillas. I used to eat them everyday.

What about the Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Flour tortillas? I love them! They are 70 cals, have 11g of carbs, 6g of fiber, 1g sugar, and 7g protein!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Switch to whole wheat rice, bread and flour and you can have a bit with eat meal. You need to make adjustments for this to work.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If I eat tortillas I get the white corn made without lard. They are 110 calories for 2 and hardly any fat. Flour tortillas are the devil lol =)
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What about the Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Flour tortillas? I love them! They are 70 cals, have 11g of carbs, 6g of fiber, 1g sugar, and 7g protein!
    [/quote]

Where did you find these... they sound awesome!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out bread tortillas or rice. I just choose healthier versions.

whole grain bread (homemade so I can control the ingredients), brown rice, and corn tortillas

Stay away from white flour and white rice.

I do treat myself to good quality white pasta once or twice a week though.

And everything in portion. Make sure you weigh or measure it.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas are super healthy, low in fat, low in sodium, high in fiber, filling, help with constipation....

bread, unless it is homemade is usually full of sodium and other ingredients your body doesn't need

rice - most folks think brown rice is best.......interesting the Asian nations eat white rice and are healthier than us Amercians! Why? Well, Asian folks don't eat cup after cupfull. We tend to oversize our porportions here!

Whatever your choice, try to make it the least processed one....pure ingredients will do your body more good.

Just my take on things!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Where did you find these... they sound awesome!

They have them at my local grocery store, Stop & Shop. You can find out where they sell them near you on their website: http://www.josephsbakery.com/
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Tumaro's Gourmet, Low In Carbs, Tortillas are 60 calories, 2 fat, and 11 carbs. i LOVE them, and i usually have them with grilled chicken and veggies.

i've pretty much cut out all bread except as a treat every so often, but Pepperidge Farm, Light Style Extra Fiber Wheat Bread is 40 calories per slice, so if i want bread, i'll have that.

i also cut out rice, but sometimes i really crave it. i'll have brown rice if i can, otherwise, i skip the rice all together. which stinks, cuz I LOVE RICE!!! there's nothin like a nice bowl of white rice with a little soy sauce....mmmmmm lol
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you tend to fry up your rice in oils then stop, just eat it plain. If you cant eat with out these foods then maybe you should give them up cold turkey for a bit then introduce healthier versions in a week so you can adjust.
    A lot of us are here because we have a food addiction and you will need to break that. Got to eat to live not live to eat. :)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I backed off alittle on bread but didn't cut it out completely - my advise is don't deprive yourself.enjoy it here and there....
    (sorry - until we gain a second income we are on a very limited budget) pls dont judge..

I love 100 calories Arnolds sandwich rounds... (Sams club 16 for under 4bucks) I freeze
    110 calorie thomas thin bagels.. (Sams club 10 under 4bucks) I freeze alot
    yeah, I use flour great value fajitas 80calories (walmart 16 for under a buck)
    were not big on rice...
    for sliced bread....Aldi's/Harris teeter I get thin sliced sandwich bread caloried are minimum. My hubby uses it - I rarely use it.
    Aldi's bread is .79cents/HT is 1.19usd

Good luck!!!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a carbs person, so I hardly ever eat bread, rice, etc. When I do, I choose whole grains - whole wheat low carb tortillas are about 71 calories and great for burritos and mexican...i like brown rice or bulger...

Carbs just don't fill me up. I'd take a huge plate of vegetables for bulk over a tortilla any day :)
  • jadeparis66
    jadeparis66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    no rice, cereal, pasta, tortillas. bread that is 45 calories for two slices... okay.