Frustrated with workout calories

Options
I prefer to NOT get on a machine. I feel I get much better cardio throwing around the sandbags, pushing the sled and jumping rope. But i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that little monitor on the treadmill and elliptical machine that shows how many calories I have burned. when i first started this thing of ours, all I cared about was hitting 500 on either the ellitpical machine or treadmill each day. And at the time, that was a good goal. But now, i am going after a more total body workout.

I am pretty sharp and quick with math, so i wouldnt have a hard time keeping a running total for other things, but i simply do not know what number to assign. Like tonight, I did 6 exercises of free weights, 30 reps each. Is there a rule of thumb for that, something like total reps times X gets calories burned?

i assume I can find a good number for jumping rope, but pushing the sled and throwing the sandbag? If I feel those things exhaust me in about the same way as jumping rope, can i apply the same number to them?

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Invest in a HRM (heart rate monitor) and then you'll get an accurate read out of what you're burning.
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You need to just buy a heart rate monitor. Seriously, you'll love it. I recommend the Polar FT4.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Agree. Get the HRM, I love my Polar FT4. Way more accurate then the machines at the gym and what MFP quotes you.
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about buying a body bug? If you love knowing how many calories your burn you will LOVE this thing. I know it's a little pricey for some people but its way better than just a heart rate monitor! http://www.bodybugg.com/

Check it out. Also, If you're not looking to spend any $, check out the livestrong website. They have formulas for figuiring our how many calories you burned on an excercise. I am the same about knowing how many calories I burn, and I was able to do it with the math formulas from their website. If it makes you feel any better, many MANY studies have shown that the calorie displays on those cardio machines are grossly inaccurate, and can actually lure you in to thinking you've burned more than you have.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I finally got one (the Polar FT4) about 6 months ago...when I saw the difference in calories I actually burned versus what the machines and MFP said for certain activities I'm surprised I lost any weight at all the first 6 months! I burn very slow. With my HRM I burn between 3-400 calories in about 50 min of elliptical or treadmill. The machines were saying I was burning about 600 and I wasn't working nearly as hard back then. They are well worth the investment.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    thanks all. amazing how fast someone can get good advice here. this wide, wide world of the internets is an amazing place.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In this case, an HRM, while it won't be all that accurate for the types of activities you are doing, will be much more accurate than any other option. Just keep in mind that the calorie numbers are best used to track the overall performance of one workout vs another. Be extremely cautious about using the numbers as part of your eating plan because, with your types of workouts, they will be considerably off.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you are wondering about HR Monitors...

I have posted this message in the past, but I am a big fan of Polar (one of their Ambassadors) and they have a wonderful line of HRM's. I have been using their products for about a year and a half.

I started with (and most recommend) the FT7 - about $90 to $105, but after 8 months, I graduated to the FT80, which gave me GPS, Fitness Tests (VO2max), a visual display of my HR, Strength Training detail (add you entire lifting routine into the watch) and a great online community that supports me through challenges (uploading through a Flow Link accessory). I use it for the elliptical, tennis and weight lifting.

Online the FT80 lists at $349. I have seen it as low as $250 (with a Flow Link) at heartratemonitorusa.com.

See the results:

http://www.polar.fi/en/polar_community/polar_people/Andrew

Polar also has a really great line of basic HR monitors. The FT4 (about $70 online) will count your calories and store the info. When you step up to the FT 7, FT40 FT60 & FT80 they can all upload results to polarpersonaltrainer.com...each adds a feature up the line and you should select a monitor that matches your lifestyle/budget.

See their website:

http://www.polar.fi/en/