Conmfort eating

Options
bbush18
bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
A question...Why is that we find comfort in eating? If our days go bad and things go wrong, why is that we can easily find ourselves eating something that makes us seem satisfied in that moment? Only to regret it later? Is it science? Is it psycological? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts and suggestions are on this topic... And what do YOU do to avoid it--other than working out. (That usually seems to be one of the better ways to clear your mind and relieve stress!) :huh:

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking at food as something that satisfies, and started looking at it for its nutritional benefits. Selecting food that tastes good only leads to pain....and fat.

Simple answer for me was food is nutrition, nothing more, nothing less. How does it benefit me? How does it fit into my macros?

And that's it.

.....I must have a dull life....But occasionally, I eat whatever I want, about once every 2-3 Months.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I need answers too! I think my main problem is that I lack the self control to know when to stop. I often find myself going for a "snack" (mostly at night are my weakest times) only to realize later I just binged then beat myself up about it. So I start off "comfort" eating only to feel extremely uncomfortable and guilty afterwards! :explode: :sad: :huh:
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to think real hard about why I want that particular food. Usually it's after a long hard day and I feel like I "deserve" it. But why? These conversations with myself seem to help. Usually my answer is that I don't need it and in the end it won't make me feel better. Sometimes I do let myself give in, though, as long as it's just one meal, and usually only if it's something I've been craving for a few weeks. If you never give in you'll end up eating the same amount of calories of something else trying to satisfy the craving. I also try not to take money or my wallet with me to work, then I have no choice but to eat what I pack for lunch and I can't stop on the way home for junk food...I have to come home and cook my healthy food.