Potassium Problems

Options
I just changed my journal to start tracking potassium, and I realized I'm not getting nearly enough. Has anyone else had problems with this? 3500mg per day seems like a lot. Even on days when I ate a lot of tomatoes, milk, citrus, and other potassium rich foods, I still didn't have enough.

I'm kind of getting overwhelmed. Maybe I'm trying to change too many things too quickly, because it seems really hard to stay within the allotted amount of the bad things while making sure to get enough of the good things. :noway:

Replies

• Bachelle
    Options
    I just changed my journal to start tracking potassium, and I realized I'm not getting nearly enough. Has anyone else had problems with this? 3500mg per day seems like a lot. Even on days when I ate a lot of tomatoes, milk, citrus, and other potassium rich foods, I still didn't have enough.

I'm kind of getting overwhelmed. Maybe I'm trying to change too many things too quickly, because it seems really hard to stay within the allotted amount of the bad things while making sure to get enough of the good things. :noway:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem 3500 is the recommended daily amount. Try adding skim milk and baked pototoes, as well as bananas, sweet potatoes, sometimes it is hard to reach it. I have a list of the highest foods in potassium beside my desk. I have often changed what I was going to eat because I was trying to bring up my potassium. I am okay with it now, it is iron I am having the problem with, since I am a blood donor, kicks you in the butt when you donate and your levels really dip down.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I watch fiber, sodium, fat, and protein. Potassium tracking to me seems like a waste of space that you could give to another element that you'd rather be watching. You can get extra potassium by taking a supplement if it is important to you. Then you'll know for sure how much you're getting. I take two 550mg tabs every other day and hope that the remainder of my foods supply me with the rest.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue is a *lot* of foods don't list potassium because only recently have studies shown that it has any genuine benefit for health, and there was no FDA standard level reccomended for your diet. Almost everything contains potassium, and if you see sodium you can almost guarantee that there is potassium too.

As mentioned earlier, potatoes, fish, bananas, fatty fish... these all have lots of potassium.

The only real reason you'd wanna track it would be if you're trying to cut down your blood pressure. There has been a demonstratable link between lowering blood pressure and raising the amount of potassium you take in, while lowering the amount of sodium.
  • allaboutme
    Options
    I have read that potassium also helps gives your mucles energy, is this wrong?
  • allaboutme
    Options
    this is what I read about it :
    Potassium is an essential mineral that supports many of our body’s vital functions. It plays a major role in transmitting sensory impulses and stimulating muscular contractions, including the contractions of the heart. This is why it’s absolutely necessary to eat the foods that provide the potassium we need

Wrong??? anyone??
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Potassium is an element (and an electrolyte) that's essential for the body's growth and maintenance. It's necessary to keep a normal water balance between the cells and body fluids. Potassium also plays an essential role in the response of nerves to stimulation and in the contraction of muscles. Cellular enzymes need potassium to work properly.

Other foods high in potassium include cantaloupe, grapefruit, oranges, tomato or prune juice, honeydew melons, prunes, molasses and potatoes.

Msarro is right. If you're trying to watch your blood pressure, look for potassium, but it's in almost everything you eat!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's true, actually.. your nerves work on potassium and sodium because they're positively charged and blah blah blah... sorry, my psych degree is getting the better of me, lol. You can look up how they work by googling 'sodium potassium pump' or 'action potential.'

But yeah, they perform a really important job so far as nerves go, but potassium is in so many of the foods you eat I think you'd be hard pressed not to get enough. That's debatable I suppose... I do prefer higher potassium numbers just because my relatives all have high blood pressure :)
  • Bachelle
    Options
    The biggest issue is a *lot* of foods don't list potassium because only recently have studies shown that it has any genuine benefit for health, and there was no FDA standard level reccomended for your diet. Almost everything contains potassium, and if you see sodium you can almost guarantee that there is potassium too.

As mentioned earlier, potatoes, fish, bananas, fatty fish... these all have lots of potassium.

The only real reason you'd wanna track it would be if you're trying to cut down your blood pressure. There has been a demonstratable link between lowering blood pressure and raising the amount of potassium you take in, while lowering the amount of sodium.

Wow, I didn't realize that it wasn't listed on many food labels, so I'm probably getting more than I realize then. Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better.