Help!! My treadmill hates me!!

Options
Oh wait! I mean, I hate my treadmill!!!!!!!! I bought a real nice treadmill, set it up right next to my recliner in front of the TV. (Yep, it's an eyesore!) I have no problem with the calorie part of my program, but the exercise part.....Ewwww!! I'm retired so I have the time. I promise myself every day that I will do some walking. Then every day, I just don't. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to motivate myself?? Thank you so much!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I pay for a gym membership vs working out at home.... I won't do it. I've tried. I'll tell myself I will workout and then find an excuse to not do it. I always say "I'll do it tomorrow" and well.. tomorrow never comes.
  • sheila1119
    Options
    Try doing your walking outdoors. It's interestingg and keeps you "busy". I really hated it too when Ifirst started. But, now I love walking. It refreshes me. Unfortunately, I injured my Achilles Tendon and am having to sit out a while. No fun!!! :-(
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When it comes to motivation, I always thought Nike said it best... JUST DO IT! Once you get on and get moving, and get in the habit of it, it'll get easier. The hardest part is getting started. At least it was for me. Now I actually feel antsy when I take a day off from working out.
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put on my favorite show (for 30 min or hour) and just walk while I watch it. It helps me keep my mind off the idea that I am actually working out because I am so into the show that is playing. Hope that helps!!
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with exercise. I signed up for some 5ks, paid & commited with a friend... now I feel like I can't back out so that helps... LOL Now if only I can work off of that to do some daily stuff on my own too!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think you may have to be more specific. No more of this, "Everyday I will do some walking." Instead, it should be, "Today I'm going to be on the treadmill from 3pm to 3:30." And it has to be nonnegotiable. Once that exercise time is in your calendar, it has to be as important to you as picking up your best friend from the airport.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    Mind games can sometimes help. Think of it as you against the treadmill...don't let the treadmill win. MUST CONQUER THE TREADMILL!! :laugh:
  • fridaysgal
    fridaysgal Posts: 37
    Options
    It seems as though once you get up and do it a few times, you really start feeling better and it almost gets addicting. The key is to keep going, even if only a little bit. I found that time doesn't go very fast while watching TV on the treadmill. I prefer an MP3 player full of great music (with the TV on for something to focus on). If the weather is nice, I definitely prefer walking outside.

Good luck to you!
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You've got to turn on the TV and just DO IT!

Tell yourself you'll only do it for ten minutes...then when ten minutes pass tell yourself only five more. Then keep going.

Damn it, I better go get on the treadmill right now, lol.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Blarg... I hate treadmills too. I actually started c25k on the treadmill and got bored really quick. I took it outside and have LOVED every minute of my running journey. I'm about to finish c210k (and start half marathon training) - so I know it can be done!

Go outside! Get some fresh air. Enjoy the Scenery. You're retired... you have the time!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the recliner. :)
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mind games can sometimes help. Think of it as you against the treadmill...don't let the treadmill win. MUST CONQUER THE TREADMILL!! :laugh:

I love this, I do it all the time to get through my workout! :)
  • onebigbutt
    onebigbutt Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks Chevy, I live out in the country so a gym isn't real convenient. I must say tho, it sure worked for you! You look absolutely GREAT!!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chevy, I live out in the country so a gym isn't real convenient. I must say tho, it sure worked for you! You look absolutely GREAT!!!

I live in the country too - pick a nice rural road and enjoy the scenery. I'm constantly saying "Hi cow" to my cheerleaders.
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Thanks Sheila,
    Wow, I hope you get better really soon! Ouch!! One reason I got the treadmill is because our weather. It's in the 100's right now in Oklahoma! Yuk!
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Hmmm! You might be on to something!! Thanks! No excuses! :wink:
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Get on that treadmill. Force yourself to do it, like your life depends upon it.

I wish you all the best, and only the best. :flowerforyou:
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Thanks, any suggestions for a good daytime show?
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Oh yeah! Hadn't thought of it like that!! That one might work! I'm staring down the treadmill right now!! Thanks sweetie!
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Oh Wow!! 5K!! Now I really feel like a wimp!! :laugh: Good luck! I'm impressed!!!!