OMG - I can't BELIEVE this! ... Ladies only Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options

AZO rocks! It doesn't help the infection, and you can't take it before a urinalysis, but it helps with the pain after you've been diagnosed and begun treatment.

I agree with everyone else. Rest and recover. Your body is burning up extra calories fighting the infection anyway.

I'm in Canada... we don't have AZO. So I decided to start taking some Positive Bacteria (some kind of crazy intense natural stuff) and Cranberry tablets. But I think I'm on my third Litre of water & it's not even 2pm yet!

But your body burns calories to fight sick? Man... should've taken that biology class in high school... but the disection thing freaked me out. Took Astronomy instead!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I used to get UTI way too often years ago. Then a nurse in an urgent care clinic told me these types of infections feed on sugar and I should cut back on it (made sense because at the time I was having a couple snickers bars every day) and second, always pee after sex (oral etc). If that's too much info, sorry, but haven't had a UTI in 15 years.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have GI issues that cause me severe pain in my lower abdomen (like doubled over hardly able to walk) and I spent 3 days out of commission earlier this week because of it. I pushed myself too much doing stuff around the house on the 3rd day and almost hurt myself. Exercise isn't worth it if you're going to make yourself worse and make the healing process longer. Might as well just take the time you need to recover.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do any exercise until all was clear. It won't hurt to cease activity until you're body is at it's optimal health. Why risk it? I also would have asked the doctor his opinion on this and take it from there. Good luck and take care of yourself.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sorry for all of your trouble. I think a lot of doctors are overworked (especially in the er) and you have to really double check everything. I found that out the hard way. I sometimes have to ask what they prescribed because of the terrible handwriting. . Give your body a few days to heal and recover. I drink a glass of cranberry juice twice a week to prevent UTIs and kidney stones. Make sure that you drink lots of water. Hope you feel better soon.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I went through something like this about a year ago, except I had 4 UTI's in 6 months. Hit hard and fast, just like you described. The cause ended up being artificial sweeteners. I stopped drinking diet soda, and the cycle of infections stopped. Now I know to drink only one or two diet drinks a day, with plenty of water in between. I never want to go through that again.

You didn't say what antibiotic you are allergic to...I'm assuming sulfa drugs, like bactrim and septra. I'm highly allergic to those as well, so they give me cipro. I worked and exercised on meds, but I didn't have as much energy. Listen to your body; don't overdo it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a day or 2 days to recover (you'll find you're actually probably feeling quite a bit better tomorrow). Wear only cotton panties, nothing tight fitting, try cranberry pills too.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've had a bladder infection that did the same thing with the pink/red urine. I knew it wasn't my cycle so it freaked me out. Dr's office found out that I have a bad bladder infection.

After a couple days on the antibiotics you'll feel a ton better. It's more than likely a bit more than just a UTI the often spread to the bladder. It would be far longer to go to kidney but is possible.

Bactrim is the go to on these infections. I couldn't imagine being allergic. Cipro and other's are quite strong and it would be crummy if you became sensitive to those to where they didn't work if you had more infections. I had an urgent care prescribe me something I clearly stated was an allergy. I didn't take it when I got to the pharmacy and found out the main ingredient was what I'm allergic to. I didn't know then that was what it was but glad I figured it out and didn't just take it. I've had small amounts of it in cold meds and didn't seem to get a reaction that time.