Late night eating FRENZY?

Options
OH MY GOODNESS! I am driving myself crazy!!! Does anyone know what to do about late night cravings? I mean...the kind you don't even have to be hungry to get? I don't know what the deal is, but as soon as my son is in bed and I get down to cleaning the house or taking a second to do something I want...I start thinking about food. Things I DON'T EVEN EAT on a regular basis. Things like cookies (oreos...which I hate for goodness sake!), chips, nachos with EXTRA cheese...GAH!

I'm kind of disgusted with myself and I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere if I continue to add more food to my diary after I've already filled it out and turned it in. Its like self sabotage. Short of asking my husband to lock the refrigerator and pantry and hide the key from me I'm out of ideas.

Anyone been there, done that and willing to offer pearls of wisdom. You could be saving my life if you do.

Thanks!

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Cody, with the diaries I've seen you have you always have PLENTY of calories left over after you complete. You can eat something after you complete but cookies aren't gonna keep you full. Try something like an apple or some other fruit? You could even do a fiber bar or some other fiber one product which you can get chocolate. I prefer an apple if I have it because it keeps me full.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me is to not have things in the house that would tempt me. I am better now, it's not as hard to resist temptation but when I was first starting I just couldn't have it in the house. I have great willpower at the grocery store but if there was anything in the house I had NO willpower.

So, my suggestion is to just not keep those kinds of things around. I don't know how long you've been at this but take it step by step. Your ultimate goal might be to cut out late night snacking but if you replace it with healthier snacks that is at least a step in the right direction. Drinking water helps too. Not just because it keeps me feeling more full but also because it gives me something to do - that habit of eating is replaced with continuously taking small sips of water.

Good luck!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Cody, with the diaries I've seen you have you always have PLENTY of calories left over after you complete. You can eat something after you complete but cookies aren't gonna keep you full. Try something like an apple or some other fruit? You could even do a fiber bar or some other fiber one product which you can get chocolate. I prefer an apple if I have it because it keeps me full.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    During the day, boil a lot of vegetables. Put them in the fridge and when you crave all that naughty food at night, grab the yummy veggies.

(I'm a recovering binge eater)

:flowerforyou:
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!! I do the same exact thing. I've even made my husband leave the room when he's snacking at night, lol. I heard this podcast that helped me understand the physcology behind feeling like you deserve a snack at night. It's really interesting! Basically you feel like after a hard day that you deserve a "reward" and one of the ways you can reward yourself - with minimal effort - is w/a snack. So, try to realize that's what you're doing and find other "rewards" One great reward is some cardio - you may feel like that's the last thing you want to do - but it will give you some feel good adrenaline! :) Also, the podcast pointed out that if you're not fueling your body throughout the day that your brain has worked extra hard (w/not enough fuel) and it just catput at the end of the day. This has helped me some, so hope it helps you! Also, come on here and read some of the success stories for some great inspiration! Good luck and feel free to friend me! We could help keep ea other reliable w/our late night munchies ;)
    The podcast link if you're interested:

http://www.weightlossguru.com/blog-post/using-your-brain-for-a-change-with-marcel-daana/
  • Camppryor21
    Options
    POPCORN! Just a little. Its light and does the trick. :)
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The best defense is a strong offense! :angry: And I'm not much into sports but that is true for life. Get rid of all the stuff that isn't good for you - cookies, nachos, etc. If your husband wants to eat that stuff, the nicest thing he can do for you is keep it at work. Then stock up on healthy options.

Sugar Free Popscicles
    Sugar Free Jello and Pudding
    Low calorie salty snacks of your choice
    Fresh Fruit (already cut up is convenient)
    Baby Carrots and Fat Free Ranch or Onion Dip

And then, you will have only healthy options to choose from.

Fight the good fight!

We're here for you!

Yvonne :flowerforyou:
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wrote a pretty similar topic last night as well. ALthough I went on my disgusting little binge.

I decided since this was a lifestyle change I would buy in small gluten free treats to have in moderation. EM BIG MISTAKE. I ate them all last night, and two bowls non gluten free icecream, non gluten free cereal, etc etc etc.

I was in severe pain for the night and could barely move as Im allergic to gluten but I just needed food. I dont know why. But I feel your pain. It just seems to take over my head and nothing seems to stop it.

Last week I felt a binge coming on, I went out for a run and when I came home last thing I wanted was food. But yesterday I couldnt snap out of it.
    xxx
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    PS Im agreeing with others here. Get rid of all temptation out of house. Ive been doing MFP a month now, and have binged twice since starting, last night was the worst one. I had been so proud that there was treats in the house and I wasnt eating them. But I guess a relapse can happen at any time. Its not worth it.

:(

xxxx
  • codyraye
    codyraye Posts: 13
    Options
    GOOD ADVICE! Thank you Ericka. Believe it or not...hahaha...I never even thought of that. hahahahahahahahaha. lame.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have tons of issues with late night eating. My medication makes it that way. I've just restocked everything with "healthy" options.
  • codyraye
    codyraye Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Lots of great advice.

Yeah, I SHOULD make my husband keep the junk at work! That's a FANTASTIC idea!

Then, I can load up on the healthy stuff. And maybe I'll throw in a little cardio. What can it hurt to get a little extra exercise in? :)