I'm beyond words.

Options
My brother called me this evening to inform me that our cousin is HIV positve and has 2-3 years to live. He is in his 20's. I'm so shocked right now that I can't even get up from this chair.

Replies

• risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is beyond sad :( So young.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear about that!!

But...why the 2-3 year stamp?? There is so much treatment out there that people that have Hiv live for many many years!
    I was under the impression that things progressed more quickly when Hiv turns to Aids. But I am not very knowledgeable.

Either way...sorry to hear, and good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :(
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's true, I didn't think about that. People live for years with HIV these days. Are you sure it's not full blown AIDS? That's when you would have such a short lifespan...
  • Everstar
    Everstar Posts: 1
    Options
    God is the ultimate decider of when our last minute on earth will be, not a doctor.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I was thinking the same about the treatment, however he has no job and no insurance to cover it. My brother told me he has had it for about 9 years.

I have to be honest, he has lived a dangerous life style and his parents have told him to be careful. He just never thought he would get it.

Thank you to those who have replied.. He moved back in with his Mom so she can care for him till the end.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Yeah, that's true, I didn't think about that. People live for years with HIV these days. Are you sure it's not full blown AIDS? That's when you would have such a short lifespan...

I honestly don't know. My brother told me HIV. And that our cousin has had it for about 9 years. He looks really skinny, and super pale. My brother saw him this past July 4th.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    God is the ultimate decider of when our last minute on earth will be, not a doctor.

I agree.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Sad news, I'm so sorry. :( Honestly, I think the first thing your cousin should do is find a doctor who won't "stamp" him with an expiration date. There are a lot of treatment options. Once the shock of the diagnosis wears off, hopefully you can help him out.

Best of luck to you and your family! <3
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You need to get online and find as much info on nutrition and HIV as possible. AIDS and HIV does not have to be the automatic death sentence that medicine would have you believe. Just as proper nutrition does wonders for weight loss, it can do the same for all types of illness. Remember AIDS is auto-immune deficiency syndrome. A compromised immune system can be strengthened through proper nutrition. I'm not a doctor but nutrition should be the FIRST place people look and they often disregard how powerful it can be.

You're in my prayers.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Sad news, I'm so sorry. :( Honestly, I think the first thing your cousin should do is find a doctor who won't "stamp" him with an expiration date. There are a lot of treatment options. Once the shock of the diagnosis wears off, hopefully you can help him out.

Best of luck to you and your family! <3

Thank you very much.. :flowerforyou:
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :( That is awful news, hope you and your family are all holding up ok.

Don't lose hope though - this doesn't have to be the short life sentence they have said. Might I suggestyou Google and read up on a man by the name of David Patient? He was diagnosed HIV+ in 1983 and given 6 months to live. He is alive and (fairly) well still today, and has become a motivational speaker who talks to groups about living healthier lives.

*hugs*
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    You need to get online and find as much info on nutrition and HIV as possible. AIDS and HIV does not have to be the automatic death sentence that medicine would have you believe. Just as proper nutrition does wonders for weight loss, it can do the same for all types of illness. Remember AIDS is auto-immune deficiency syndrome. A compromised immune system can be strengthened through proper nutrition. I'm not a doctor but nutrition should be the FIRST place people look and they often disregard how powerful it can be.

You're in my prayers.

I agree with you Paul, thank you Very Very much. :flowerforyou:
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    :( That is awful news, hope you and your family are all holding up ok.

Don't lose hope though - this doesn't have to be the short life sentence they have said. Might I suggestyou Google and read up on a man by the name of David Patient? He was diagnosed HIV+ in 1983 and given 6 months to live. He is alive and (fairly) well still today, and has become a motivational speaker who talks to groups about living healthier lives.

*hugs*

I will definitly look that information up. Thank you so much for it. :flowerforyou:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

But...why the 2-3 year stamp?? There is so much treatment out there that people that have Hiv live for many many years!
    I was under the impression that things progressed more quickly when Hiv turns to Aids. But I am not very knowledgeable.

My thought, too. My sister has a friend who was diagnosed in 1988, and he is still alive and kicking. I have a friend who was diagnosed in 1991, and she's still doing quite well. I'm not saying not to worry or be sad, but don't count your cousin out yet--there may well be years--decades even--left to enjoy.

Kris
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Look into the book by Dr. Raymond Francis, Never Be Sick Again. He has written on other subjects, Never Be Fat Again and Never Fear Cancer Again. He discusses alternative treatments and learning to live a toxin free life. Very interesting, it is worth a try.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I'm curious about this also.......
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I really don't know. My brother's exact words were "Anthony has HIV, the doctor told him he has 2-3 years to live".. I don't know if my brother was told HIV or Aids per se'. He specifically told me HIV.. Maybe he thinks they are the same thing. I thought they were. I never educated myself on it.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Look into the book by Dr. Raymond Francis, Never Be Sick Again. He has written on other subjects, Never Be Fat Again and Never Fear Cancer Again. He discusses alternative treatments and learning to live a toxin free life. Very interesting, it is worth a try.

I'm looking at it right now on Amazon.. "How you are in control of you're own health..".
  • whisperingdragon
    Options

My thought, too. My sister has a friend who was diagnosed in 1988, and he is still alive and kicking. I have a friend who was diagnosed in 1991, and she's still doing quite well. I'm not saying not to worry or be sad, but don't count your cousin out yet--there may well be years--decades even--left to enjoy.

Kris

Thank you. That's good news to hear. I know times have changed.. hopefully he will be around much longer than what that doctor told him.