Are Shoes Important Indoors???

Options
How important is it to wear shoes if you are doing workouts (like with a balance ball) in your home? What about the TMT work outs or on an eliptical trainer?

Replies

• tookieb
    tookieb Posts: 89
    Options
    How important is it to wear shoes if you are doing workouts (like with a balance ball) in your home? What about the TMT work outs or on an eliptical trainer?
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I have found on an elliptical trainer it is important for your back if you wear shoes but not so much on an stability ball. I didn't use to wear them when I was in PT using a stability ball and I don't use them for my core workouts at home on my stability ball but I do use them on my elliptical trainer. I am not sure about a TMT workout cause I haven't done one of those.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them at home unless I'm jump roping (heaven forbid you hit your foot with that rope!) Then again...I was a Florida girl who only wore covered schools of any sort when I was TOLD I had to :ohwell: (Yep, sandals year round...didn't matter how cold it was!)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My arches need the support or I end up with leg and back pain, so I wear shoes indoors, except for during yoga.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them at home unless I'm jump roping (heaven forbid you hit your foot with that rope!) Then again...I was a Florida girl who only wore covered schools of any sort when I was TOLD I had to :ohwell: (Yep, sandals year round...didn't matter how cold it was!)

I grew up in Florida and I am the same way... I live in NC and I would wear sandals in the snow if my feet wouldnt get frostbitten.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I used to go barefooted everywhere even in gravel until I had my herniated discs now I have to wear them all the time with exercise. I don't wear them around the house they are the first to come off as soon as I get home but it seems like with any type of exercise I have to wear them or I have back spasms. I grew up in Southern Arkansas so it didn't matter around there but up here you have to wear them in the winter because it isn't unusual to have three feet of snow at any given time.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think there are certain exercises like yoga and pilates that are okay to do without shoes, but I always make myself put on my sneakers before working out, especially when doing anything high impact...it can really hurt my legs, knees, hips, and back if I don't...plus it's a mental trick that I play on myself...if I have to "suit up" for my workout I tend to take it more seriously, whereas if I just go to workout barefooted or in my socks it seems that I go at it with a much lower level of intensity.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I wear shoes when I'm going to be jumping, even just a little. I notice a huge difference in my ankle and knee support when I jump without shoes.

If I'm only doing low impact things though, such as side steps and walking in place I don't bother. I don't know if this is good or not, but I haven't noticed any difference in how I feel with or without them, so I opt for convenience.

And pilates and yoga should always be done bare footed.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am another Fl girl and HATE shoes. I wear them with any high impact.
  • tookieb
    Options
    Thank you for all your imput, if I can find where my daughter left my runners I will wear them for the TMT when I get it..........Little girls and mommy's shoes; just a fact of life I guess. :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your imput, if I can find where my daughter left my runners I will wear them for the TMT when I get it..........Little girls and mommy's shoes; just a fact of life I guess. :wink:

We lost car keys on vacation like at... at a campground, and it was the key to the vehicle that was hauling the camper, and it was on checkout day!!!!

We all knew my little one had been playing with the keys but had no idea where she put them. We turned the campsite upside down. Finally, it struck me, and I checked the COOLER. There they were. :laugh:

Good luck finding your shoes!!!
  • tookieb
    Options

We lost car keys on vacation like at... at a campground, and it was the key to the vehicle that was hauling the camper, and it was on checkout day!!!!

We all knew my little one had been playing with the keys but had no idea where she put them. We turned the campsite upside down. Finally, it struck me, and I checked the COOLER. There they were. :laugh:

Good luck finding your shoes!!!
    Thanks, I just went through a key episode myself. We just got a new van in August and it came with 2keys (they were the big ones that have the door unlocking buttons right on the key. They cost about $270.00 to replace each key. I thought I lost one somewhere in town but none of the stores found it, I then drove 2hours to the town where we were visiting friends in September. None of the stores I was in had seen it either. Monday I was moving some kids stuff that had been stacked under my bakers rack in my kitchen and there they were. Talk about relief.:laugh: