No Chip Challenge!

Options
Throughout the past year I have cut out all fast food (aside from a turkey sub at subway) and I genuinely don't miss it. I think the next thing I want to eliminate from my diet are "chips." This includes potato chips, baked snacks, the "organic" "healthy" puffed corn snacks and pretzels. Although they are fine if you stick to the serving size, I rarely do. So it seems that my options are to continue binging on what appears to be a "low-fat" snack, or just stop eating them all together. Like fast food, I think it is time to give the crunchy, salty, cheesy snacks up. It will be hard since I come to rely on them as a lovely sandwich accompaniment :p but it really is time to say goodbye.

Anyone with me?

Replies

• karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i find that the only snack i can control myself with IS pretzels! or popcorn...... i cant eat chips i dont even buy them. i keep a lot of snacks around the house for my boyfriend and son but i just dont eat them at all. and the fast food used to be the death of me til i just gave it up entirely. im with you.. since i havent bought preztels im a while ill just keep them off the list haha
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Best wishes in your quest for better health! I keep telling myself I need to give up chips altogether, but haven't found the willpower to do it yet.
  • ritarampage
    Options
    I'm totally with you. Chips/popcorn/salty snacks make up far too much of my diet.
  • kayseebee
    kayseebee Posts: 3
    Options
    I haven't had chips in my house for years. The only time I eat them is if I'm out somewhere and I get a single serving bag. But even that is 2-3 times a year.

I also have some issues with crackers. If they're cheesy or salty, I can't get enough. But I've found that I can portion control the Kashi-brand triscuits just fine. It's taken some playing around for me.

I've been eating baby carrots as a sandwich side for a while now. I love the crunch. And the flavor. And if they are an option over chips, I'll choose them every time. Not because they're better for me, but because I like them better.

I thought I had control over this, but I was given some PopChips the other day and I had such a hard time stopping at one single-serving bag. So it ends up that I have just gotten good at controlling my environment, but the triggers are still there.
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can't do it. Chips are my splurge food.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you here. We don't buy chips at all anymore. My husband gets rice cakes and I don't even eat any of those 95% of the time....my son has pretzels and I may grab one or two small pretzel twists while getting him some but for the most part I've learned to stay away. I replaced crunchy, salty sides with carrots and cucumbers for sandwich sides.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am in......I don't even like chips really and can't remember the last time I ate them. I will help support ya!
    Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • karlajohnson123
    karlajohnson123 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the Fat free kind? I have gotten two cans of the Pringles FF light sour cream and onion chips and they are really good. Of course, nutritionally, I know they are not worth anything. I do enjoy them though.
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    I have tried and tried and tried to do this and I just can't manage to it! I am truly an addict. One is too many and a thousand is never enough when it comes to me and salty crunchy cheesy chips. Cheetos are literally a sources of family feud in my home. I can't have them around me despite the fact that everyone loves them because I can't resist! And I have not touched a speck of sugar in 6 years despite the fact that my husband eat a couple dozen krispy kremes, boxes of poptarts, and packs of cookies to maintain his svelte figure. I have had to allow myself a treat of pretzels, popcorn or the occasional fat free pringles to curb the crunch monster or I end up hiding in a corner with a whole bag of chips hating myself! If you find and helpful hints share because I thought nothing would be harder than kicking kicking sugar and I don't even miss it now :-)
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Let's do this! I am going to start substituting carrots for chips, maybe throw a little hummus in there. Good suggestions! Feel free to friend me if I haven't already requested you! :)
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    Do you eat the Fat free kind? I have gotten two cans of the Pringles FF light sour cream and onion chips and they are really good. Of course, nutritionally, I know they are not worth anything. I do enjoy them though.

arent those full of olestra? that weird fat substitute that has warnings on the package about how itll make you pooop!
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    *gasp* Give up chips??? I don't know.... :tongue:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    oooh, I LOOOOVE chips (especially tortilla and potato) and pirate booty, etc. I had a dream last night I was binging on greasy kettle-style potato chips :laugh: It would be good for me to give that up but NOT popcorn. I have decided I will not give up popcorn or cheese in this weight loss journey unless I break out in hives. :tongue:
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All the way! Chips are sooo bad- you eat one and you just can't stop. Then at the end of the bag you feel gross like you didn't even want it. They are so out for me. i'll probably have some once i've reached my goal, but till then, I'd like to stay away from them.
  • f1tn3ssg1rl
    Options
    OMG! you guys should totally try baked lentil chips .... 70% less fat then regular potato chips, have a lot of fiber, and are only 110 calories!!! pretty addicting though, one must need willpower!!!!!!! good luck!!!