Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Runners Rash

Hi!!

I scrolled through about 17 pages of posts, and didn't see this topic, so I thought 'd ask all you runners out there:

I'm a novice runner, training for a half-marathon...following the Galloway/Higdon training schedule (kinda used both models to create my own schedule that fit with my time frame).

I am struggling with rashes...and not necessarily on my thighs...but also under my breasts. Is there any prevention? I am treating them the way you would a diaper rash (hey...I'm a mom of 5...it's what I know)...keep clean, and applying straight cornstarch to avoid chaffing. But is there something more I could do?

It's pretty uncomfortable...and every week I get them healed to a certain point before my long Saturday run...just to aggravate them all over again.

So I was hoping there was a way to STOP them BEFORE they start...instead of just TREATING them AFTER I'm already uncomfortable...

Thanks...I'd really appreciate any suggestions...

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Owie! I got this on my nips when I started running longer distances. The important stuff is: a moisture-wicking sports bra that fits snugly enough to prevent your boobs from moving around, but still lets you breathe; moisture-wicking shirt; possible nip protection (like bandaids); and some Body Glide to reduce friction.
  • KassiV
    KassiV Posts: 28
    Body Glide....saved me on my first half marathon and I use it before every run now!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Oh, and I also have sebbhoraic dermatitis...basically, my own sweat irritates my skin and gives me a rash (yea, awesome). So I have gone on topical steroid creams for that and it clears right up.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Body Glide....saved me on my first half marathon and I use it before every run now!

Yup, BodyGlide is da bomb!
  • nbloom
    nbloom Posts: 14
    Hi,

Ouch, sorry you've gotten that rash.

I usually get them on my legs when i'm running if it's too hot outside or I'm wearing too many layers. I would recommend maybe changing your sports bra or whatever you're wearing on top.

Under armor is very helpful. I sweat a lot and when I wear one of my under armor shirts the amount that is left on my body is much less- and feels much more comfortable.

Hope this helped :-)
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    I just use my under arm deoderant...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I wear two sports bras lol it REALLY holds them down so not so much friction!
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    I wear two sports bras lol it REALLY holds them down so not so much friction!

I have done this too. I have worn a regular bra with a sports bra overtop. I have had rashes underneath the breast area too and it was because my bra would slide and move as I was running. The longer distance you run the more issues you will notice. If you do plan to go for a long run don't wear elastic waist pants...I have had one solid mark around my waist from wearing these pants. Spandex or special running clothes are the best. It is also nice to have thick socks too, this will help prevent blisters.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    This has been a problem for me too. I just figured they were heat rashes. Great suggestions here, thanks.
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Thanks guys...will definitely look into Body Glide (was thinking of resorting to plain old Vaseline, anyway)...and try the double bra trick. I AM wearing running moisture-wick clothes...hence my surprise and frustration. But then again...I AM training in the South Florida humidity in summer ( I know...crazy, right? )...so the right clothes are just not enough!!

Thanks again!!