Blisters!

Options
deb_rn
deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
I have increased the distance that I am walking as well as the speed at which I walk and I am getting blisters on my feet. Ouch! I started using moleskin on the sensitive spots! My shoes aren't old. Any suggestions for "curing" this problem? It is hard to stay motivated to walk when your feet hurt! :frown:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing cotton socks? They will cause blisters because they absorb several times their weight in water and then rub against your feet.

Try some sythetic sweat-wicking socks instead.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing cotton socks? They will cause blisters because they absorb several times their weight in water and then rub against your feet.

Thank you for that, I've been getting them too! Now to go get me some socks that won't hurt me :smile:
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Socks will make a huge difference. also look at the sock's design and where you are getting blisters. I had one pair with lots of padding on the heels and soles of the feet but a thin area across the sides of my feet and got blisters there. They stopped as soon as I changed them out!
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the right shoes and the right socks ( once you make the change to wicking socks you wonder why you waited ) make a huge difference....the other thing you might want to try is some sort of lubricant like vaseline ( i don't like the way it feels but its works ...at half / marathons there are often aid stations handing it out for just this reason) or something less thick like bodyglide, ( won't even know its on )...just hit the affected areas before your walks and it will help reduce the friction and help to keep those blisters away
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    perhaps re-lacing your shoes a different way could help with support.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. Blisters on my feet is the only reason why I cannot sustain a running routine. I have great running shoes and thought I had good socks. I'll have to look into upgrading my workout socks! =D
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you find out, let me know! I have two sores on my left foot and I just bought these shoes for working out. It is not the shoes, but I do not know what it is. I broke one of the toes last summer, but it healed I thought.:frown:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    the right shoes and the right socks ( once you make the change to wicking socks you wonder why you waited ) make a huge difference....the other thing you might want to try is some sort of lubricant like vaseline ( i don't like the way it feels but its works ...at half / marathons there are often aid stations handing it out for just this reason) or something less thick like bodyglide, ( won't even know its on )...just hit the affected areas before your walks and it will help reduce the friction and help to keep those blisters away

I will try this as my sores are between my toes. Thanks!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    There are a number of things you can do/try but first and foremost you will have to break your feet in as well as your shoes... This is normal for runners as they increase miles.

Things I do...
    1. Make sure you have good SOCKS! Running stores will sell socks that have a double layer of fabric... This helps with rubbing and blisters. They are expensive but well worth the investment.
    2. Socks again... Stay away from thick socks and cotton socks... They are not your friends.
    3. When I get a blister I use paper tape on the sensitive spots till everything calms down. It is easy to peel off.
    4. You can buy Glide or Bandaid makes an anti-blister stick... I would describe it as chap stick for your feet. I put it on in areas that I know are sensitive to blisters. It helps with the rubbing therefore preventing blisters.

Good LUCK!

I am the blister queen... Plagued by blisters ever since I started running. People will say it is the shoes but sometimes our feet are just sensitive.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! I have some cotton, some "better socks" but just grabbed whichever were handy. No more cotton socks for me!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I get blisters in 1 spot on my foot too. I stared using my regular deodorant on them and that seems to cure it for me. Socks never made a difference for me and band aids never stayed on.
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Thank you for that, I've been getting them too! Now to go get me some socks that won't hurt me :smile:

Yes thank you for that :)
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, if you're trying to walk long distances, change your socks half way through. I shoot for fresh socks every 5 miles if I'm doing over 7-8 miles.

I'll echo that the socks can make a huge difference. Wrightsocks double layer work best for me, but walking friends use Thorlos and love them.