What's the deal with HRM straps??

Options
Li_Willi
Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
I've been researching HRM's & thought I found one until I started reading about all the drama with the strap & how if it breaks you need to replace the HRM all together - ?!?!?! It seems that the strap is an issue with a lot of them...can anyone recommend a good HRM that had a good durable strap?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, it has a decent strap and is an all round good HRM too :-)
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have had the same polar for over 3 years, same strap, no issues...love it! Never work out without it!
  • Li_Willi
    Options
    How often do you have to change the batteries & is that a hassle?
  • tommys
    tommys Posts: 61
    Options
    I have been using the Polar FT40 and it works great, mine is fairly new but the strap is quality constructed and the Polar brand is one of the top lines I don't think you will go wrong with a Polar! Good Luck!
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I have polar ft60 g1 I beleive any polar brand is good.. I love mine!!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 as well, and the chest strap is super durable and incredibly comfortable.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure what HRMs those threads were referring to but I do know the older models of Polar HRMs were a pain in the rear because you couldn't replace the batteries yourself. And they also discouraged not replacing the one in the watch yourself either (although that was more for folks who use it for swimming because the water resistence would be compromised).

However, I believe all their new ones allow for self replacement of batteries now in both the watch and chest strap.

I've been using my Polar FT4 for about 3 months and love it!
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 also the strap is stretchy and I have had no problems with it. It does say you should wash them regularly; so I rinse mine out after I use it each time.
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    POLAR FT4! love it! used it since november 2010, 191 training sessions, 142 hours with no issues! running, zumba, yoga...twisting and floor exercise. it's water resistant too. my girlfriend wears hers in the pool.

the chest strap is adjustable and comfortable. i rinse mine and hang it to dry each time per the care instructions. as long as you don't wad/bind it all up and risk breaking the wires inside, no issues.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Previously I owned a Timex. The strap was fine but the watch was not so good. It lasted a year. I have a Polar F6 and a Garmin. Both have been great and lasted YEARS. I've never had a problem with the straps. A lot of people say you can't change a Polar battery but, I did it a couple weeks ago and it's no problem. Take out 4 screws. Remove and replace old battery. Make sure gasket is laying in it's trough. Replace 4 screws. Good luck with your decision.
  • Li_Willi
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Found it very interesting that the majority of you (unknowingly) commented on the HRM I'm looking to purchase. Thanks again. :-)
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    FT7 for me. Just replaced the battery for the first time after a year and a half or so. Changing batteries on the FT7 is quite easy. I had heard about hrm's where battery changing was difficult but my model required nothing more than a quarter (to unscrew the lid) and five seconds.

The strap itself is comfortable.