What kind of HRM????

Options
I am looking to buy a hrm.. Not really sure what all is out there. I am a novice runner, training for 1/2 marathon, so I would love something that would show me HR, distance, and calories burned... Don't have a ton of money to spend on one...Any ideas??

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and highly recommend Polar. The FT6 & FT7 are the way to go and what I want to get next time. Oops, I missed that you said distance. We bought my son a Garmin running watch. He likes it, but thinks it is really bulky on his wrist. For a female, I would think that would be an even bigger problem.
  • anhaab
    anhaab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar and love it! Have had mine for a while but have heard phenomenal reviews on the Polar FT7.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think Garmin is the only one that tracks distance as well as calories and heart rate. They are more expensive. I have both a Garmin and a Polar F6. Love them both and they just keep working. I've also had a Timex. Though it cost less. It only lasted a year.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 which doesn't do distance, just calories burned and heart rate. I am also training for a half-marathon and plot out my running course before I go out for a run (google maps or run keeper).

I am also a novice runner. I don't think they make the Polar f4 anymore but I suggest you go for the one you can afford with a chest strap and use the free sites to get your distance.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex trainer but Timex also has different ones depending on what you are doing. They may even have one for marathon trainers, I know they have one for Triathalon trainers. Previously I had a polar and it was good too. This time when I was buying one the only reason I went with the Timex is because it was about $10 cheaper and did some more things then the polar did. Plus it was a little smaller so not as bulky on the wrist. The biggest thing is to make sure you get one with a chest strap so it constantly monitors the heart rate which will have more accuracy.
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 based on recommendations from the MFP friends and I really like it. It doesn't track distance but duration, heart rate, calories burned and a couple of stats I don't understand yet. This is easy to use, I had it figured out in 10 minutes. The watch is light weight and the heart rate band is so comfortable I forget I have it on.

I bought mine on Amazon.

Yvonne :flowerforyou:
  • ksr5000
    ksr5000 Posts: 19
    Options
    I also have a polar ft 7 and I highly recommend it. Like everyone said, it doesn't do distance. I use the imapmyrun (runkeeper also works) app on my blackberry to track my distance, avg mph, etc and the hrm for heart rate and calories burned.

Whatever you choose, I would just suggest do your shopping. You will be able to find a great deal on your hrm if you just search.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 but it does not track distance. It is around 80 bucks. If you want a good all in on the Garmin is the best but very high priced. You could get runkeeper for you phone and that tracks distance, calories, time and speed. Not sure how accurate the calories would be.
  • mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    Options
    I think Garmin is the only one that tracks distance as well as calories and heart rate. They are more expensive. I have both a Garmin and a Polar F6. Love them both and they just keep working. I've also had a Timex. Though it cost less. It only lasted a year.
    I LOVE my Garmin watch. I got the one that's $250. I know it's pricey, but I use it all the time, and it does everything I want it to.

It tracks my heartrate, distance, pace and even tells me how many calories I've burned.

It also comes with free software that you can upload the history from your watch to the program ( you can use software that you install on your computer or a different program that 100% web based).

You really get what you pay for... maybe get something cheaper now, and just save up as a goal reward for a more expensive one?
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 because it was the best quality yet less expensive of several other options I saw in the store. It was $79.99. Fairly easy to navigate and it makes a cute little chirp when you're out of your target heart zone. =) I like it a lot. The chest strap is awkward sometimes but not enough to really get on my nerves.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I bought one from CVS for about $50... it's a watch style one that is a HRM, calories counter, step counter and has a timer on it as well... I'm not sure how accurate is as I don't really have anything to compare it to. I tack in the calories it tells me I've burned and I don't always eat back all of my calories from my activities but get at least my 1200 alotted to me for the day. I wear it pretty often when I know I'm going to be active and it's not that uncomfortable to wear.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    ... maybe get something cheaper now, and just save up as a goal reward for a more expensive one?

This idea sounds good. You can get a decent monitor with a chest strap for around $30 which will do heart rate and calories burned. Then set a goal for say 100 miles or a certain number of pounds lost ... and who knows, maybe by the time you get there you might decide you don't need one with distance. ;-)
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone...