Calories or Sodium...how do you choose?

Options
I have really been trying to watch my sodium, and have noticed when reading labels that in order to get the lower sodium; that the products usually have higher calories. For example I use Wishbone Western salad dressing, the Original has 160 calories, 12g of fat, and 230 mg of sodium, the Light has 70 caloires, 2g of fat, and 270mg of sodium; and the Fat Free has 50 calories, 0g of fat, and 280mg of sodium. This example is really close between the Light and the Fat Free; but some of them aren't so close. So my question is for those of you watching sodium, how do you make that choice between calories and sodium. Is there a level where you say the calories are better than the sodium or vice versa?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I nearly always go for full-fat and a smaller serving size. It just tastes better and teaches self-control ;) The only exceptions are some dairy products, where sodium isn't usually a problem.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I nearly always go for full-fat and a smaller serving size. It just tastes better and teaches self-control ;) The only exceptions are some dairy products, where sodium isn't usually a problem.

Same here!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I personally choose the lower sodium options. I watch that number like a hawk! Calories are energy, so I don't mind going over a little bit on that number.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I look more at calories, but I also don't buy a lot of prepackaged foods so I any sodium is what I add myself. I know salad dressing was just an example, but you can make your own dressing in a minute or two. Just take vinegar and olive oil and add whatever flavors you like. I especially like to make it with mustard which helps the vinegar and oil emulsify. But you can mix up the seasonings and vinegars to make a wide variety and you can make them as low in sodium as you want.

The same is true of most foods. It really doesn't take that much time to prepare your own meals.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

To helps out w/Sodium in salad dressings I:

*purchase a self make package which includes the salad dressing & a bottle; i then use half the packet contents, less oil, and more vinegar - this helps w/calories, sodium, and fat.
    *use vinegar, (little) olive oil, mrs dash seasonings, and a small portion of acondiment w/salt such as Nature's Seasoning - very flavorful, and minimizes calories, sodium, and fat.

I hope this helps.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I threw away salad dressing altogether. Even though I love it, I found that I am better without it. Like you said, either pick low calorie or low sodium. I guess I just wasn't willing to compromise :smile:

Instead I add tons of flavorful veggies and meats to my salads.

I love diced tomatoes, onion, yellow/red/orange pepper slices. The other day I even put some greek yogurt in place of dressing in my wrap (so good!). For low sodium protein, I put on grilled chicken, tilapia or low sodium pouches of tuna.

Also, instead of croutons, which are high in calories and sodium, I just toast a piece of light wheat bread (35 calories) and rip it into tiny squares.

Note: I have also heard of some people buying the make-your-own packets, using only half, and mixing it in with greek yogurt (for ranch dressing or other creamy dressings)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I found the same problem. Now I just buy the regular and use less. For dressing, I usually make my own with a little vin. or mustard and olive oil. I use a lot of herbs and hot peper flakes or cayanne pepper. Also, I use Whole non processed foods when I cook which helps and if I need a can of tomatoes or veggies, I use sodium free products. My sodium is seldom over now. Except when I eat out. There is nothing you can do for that, Unless you just eat salad. But if I'm eating out I am eating something I don't get at home because I don't do it very often. After a salty meal, boy I can really feel it now that I have been watching. Lots of lemon water takes care of it though. Good Luck
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'd choose the calories over sodium, and also read the ingredients to see where those calories are coming from. Concur with posters who suggest making your own dressing--that way you also use olive oil which is a "better" fat than soy, corn or canola oils.

I make a basic oil & vinegar with 2 oz extra virgin olive oil, 1 oz balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, grating of pepper. Usually I add a whole crushed garlic clove; shake well & use. This lasts me for several salads--I eat at least one every day. You can experiment with different vinegars and make creamy ones using yogurt as a base. Fat isn't the enemy if it's a healthy fat.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions, I do cook alot of my foods from fresh, and don't cook with salt; but I hadn't thought yet about the dressing (don't know why). I look forward to trying your recipes!
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the lemon water; i'm going to try that. I don't cook with salt anymore; and I too have noticed when I eat out how salty everything is. Can't stand to order frenchfries anymore! I guess that's a good thing.