words that annoy you

Options

Replies

• Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    "pop" in reference to soda
    "crick" instead of creek

I don't like words that end in a -eded sound when I have to say the word "it" afterwards. Like "I took the eggplant and breaded it" For some reason, I get really hung up and end up saying "breadedededed ed it" Makes me angry :( The worst is "edited it" Terrible phrase!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The turgid responses are boring me. What necessitates this pedantry? (I am sure I messed up the context of them their fancy wurds I wuz trying to use, hope your not mad at me, maybe I could care less, ok, its a mute pointe, their are myriad reasons to ignore my response but irregardless I am sure some of you will read it.)
  • Kalrez
    Options
    The turgid responses are boring me. What necessitates this pedantry? (I am sure I messed up the context of them their fancy wurds I wuz trying to use, hope your not mad at me, maybe I could care less, ok, its a mute pointe, their are myriad reasons to ignore my response but irregardless I am sure some of you will read it.)

*thumbs up* Well played, sir!
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    totally expected someone to do that xD
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When you purchase something in a store and say thank you. The sales person says no problem.
  • tkimbre2
    tkimbre2 Posts: 63
    Options
    SQUAT!! I hate that word!!!

Oh, and I hate it when someone says "sup" (Let me have a SUP of that!) It's SIP! Errrr.... lol
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thingamajig. Used by people who have no thought process.
    As in "that thingamajig over there".
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I hate the words breast, penis, vagina and tits. I'd rather say boobs, junk, crotch, or private parts lol. I also hate the words pubic, moist, *****, diarhea (sp?), pus, succulent, regurgitate, piss, the f word, mutt(mixed breed dog), b word, and other sexually derogatory words!! Apparently I could never read a romance novel and medical text books can make me gag! Also curdle and puffy!! Wow I could go on...
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Any word that is blatantly misspelled is annoying to me. I'm not a champiun speller or anything (hehe!) but it just annoys me.

Also, I hate expressions like, 'Wassup', or 'Dude', or 'ah man!'...
  • Leothelioness
    Options
    financial
    politics

(both make me sigh)
  • Leothelioness
    Options
    Oh and teenage grunts, that could either mean yes or no.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I really hate "purposely". It's a clumsy derivation of "on purpose" and should really be replaced with "deliberately".
  • br04416
    br04416 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ANY word if it's not pronounced properly:

warsh instead of wash
    expecially instead of especially
    bolth instead of both
    anchilada instead of enchilada
    treadmeal instead of treadmill

and the worst....

Walmarts instead of Walmart

ha ha ha ha Ditto!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    ASAP
    That's not really a word, but people use (abuse) it as one. I cannot stand it. I do not mind if you spell out, as soon as possible, but if you say ASAP, it sounds like you mean "immediately" or "right this second." And I just don't respond well to that.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    No, contagious, guilty, rash, diarrhea, no, stop, why, 'sorry, we're closed', and no. These all annoy me.

hahaha...im guessing you dont like being told "no"

i hate hate hate when someone is telling me a story and they say "know what i mean?" after every sentence they say. i mean, am i suppose to say yes every time or something??
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this counts but working in sales I get the term "you people" thrown around a lot and as soon as i hear it I become livid!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options

Don't visit the Midwest then!
  • Kalrez
    Options

Don't visit the Midwest then!

I moved from Alabama to Ohio. So yeah ... :(
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    ANY word if it's not pronounced properly:

warsh instead of wash
    expecially instead of especially
    bolth instead of both
    anchilada instead of enchilada
    treadmeal instead of treadmill

and the worst....

Walmarts instead of Walmart

this made me laugh! my husband says warsh lol he was sitting right here when i read it! everytime he says it is scream ITS WASH!!!! oh and the walmarts, i know a few people that say that and so when my sister and i hear it we laugh and then later when we are poking fun of them we say it and now its a damn habit! thats what we get! oh and this person also calls shreveport shrevesport! makes me crazy! with that said i need to go to Targets today! :laugh:

My husband will hear someone mispronounce a word and will use it in conversation like a joke. Most of the time though, the people he is talking to don't get the joke and think he really says the word that way. One example is "strimps" instead of shrimp or "scraw" instead of straw. I also fuss at my kids for using "my bad"...drives me crazy.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    ax instead of ask

and when someone says "I could care less"......it's couldn't! You couldn't care less! It takes everything I have not to correct them!

I agree! I worked with kids who had to go to college over summer before being accepted in the fall, they'd all wander up to 'ax' me a question, and I say, "No you cannot 'ax' me anything, try again!" they finalyl got it but man there were a few days I thought I was going to die.

What really bothers me is when people use 'big' words incorrectly. Nope, that's wrong. I know I can do it, but I'll ask if it is the wrong word or not. It annoys me.

However if a boy uses juxtaposition correctly...I pretty much swoon. No idea why.