GREEK YOGURT

Options
13»

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just a few comments...

1. Making your own is a good idea, but its NOT the way to go if you're doing this for protein. Most of the plain yogurt you buy has almost no protein -- which makes it useless in my eyes. Fage 0% is well worth the cost and the protein boost -- and the low sugar/carbs/fat...you don't get the same stats making your.

2. Read the labels...there are tons of brands out there that say greek yogurt -- but most of them have like 3-5g protein and tons of sugar. The REAL stuff has almost no sugar, and 15-20g of protein in a 6oz container. Fage, Trader Joe's, Chobani, Oikos ---

3. PLAIN good greek yogurt is not good plain -- unless you're using it as sour cream replacment or in a smoothie. BUT There are a zillion things you can stir in to make it yummy and still get the protein and benefits. Here are some things I use:

- 1 tbsp sugar-free coffee creamer (any flavor) for sweetness, flax seeds, chopped walnuts, blueberries
    - 1 tbsp soy milk, 1 tbsp sugar-free pudding mix (like pistacchio or chocolate), granola, chopped almonds
    - 1 tbsp suar-free or low sugar orange marmalade, blackberries

Sometimes I add a little agave or truvia if its not sweet enough.... I add the liquid because it tends to be really thick but you don't need it. My favorite is flavored coffee creamer. I also add things like chia seeds, shredded coconut, pumpkin pie puree, pumpkin pie spice, cheesecake pudding mix, cherry jello mix ---- be creative!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just a few comments...

1. Making your own is a good idea, but its NOT the way to go if you're doing this for protein. Most of the plain yogurt you buy has almost no protein -- which makes it useless in my eyes. Fage 0% is well worth the cost and the protein boost -- and the low sugar/carbs/fat...you don't get the same stats making your.

2. Read the labels...there are tons of brands out there that say greek yogurt -- but most of them have like 3-5g protein and tons of sugar. The REAL stuff has almost no sugar, and 15-20g of protein in a 6oz container. Fage, Trader Joe's, Chobani, Oikos ---

3. PLAIN good greek yogurt is not good plain -- unless you're using it as sour cream replacment or in a smoothie. BUT There are a zillion things you can stir in to make it yummy and still get the protein and benefits. Here are some things I use:

- 1 tbsp sugar-free coffee creamer (any flavor) for sweetness, flax seeds, chopped walnuts, blueberries
    - 1 tbsp soy milk, 1 tbsp sugar-free pudding mix (like pistacchio or chocolate), granola, chopped almonds
    - 1 tbsp suar-free or low sugar orange marmalade, blackberries

Sometimes I add a little agave or truvia if its not sweet enough.... I add the liquid because it tends to be really thick but you don't need it. My favorite is flavored coffee creamer. I also add things like chia seeds, shredded coconut, pumpkin pie puree, pumpkin pie spice, cheesecake pudding mix, cherry jello mix ---- be creative!

bump