Vitamins

Options
I take a "...one a day" multi vitamin, a "super B complex" for energy, 1000 mg of Cinnamon to help with blood sugar among other things, a "fish, flaxseed, borage oil" that's loaded with Omeega 3,6 & 9 which are all the healthy fats our bodies need because I don't eat near enough fish. I take a Korean Ginseng to help with energy, a Ginko Biloba for memory because I'm so scatter brained, L-Carnatine the last couple months...it helps the body burn stored fat, and Cayenne Fruit to help metabolism because the capsasin in it is great for everybody, not only if you're trying to lose weight. I drink atleast 80 ounces of water a day to keep my body healthy. I also drink 3 glasses of hot green tea a day. I don't take slim quick, or hydroxy cut, or any "magic diet pills" where they are loaded with caffeine and stuff to harm your body or trick you into feeling full and not eating. I eat 1200 calories a day of "good food", I work out atleast 60 minutes a day, I take care of my family and my home, and most days, I cook 6 meals a day...3 for them, 3 for me. I take all natural supplements to help with energy so I'm not a zombie all day.

I've had people lately tell me, the only reason I lose is from taking these pills and I'm doing my body more harm than good. I eat 1200 calories a day of good food and I work out atleast 60 minutes a day. What I take is all natural. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    BUMP for sure!!! If some of the ones you are taking are OK, I will too. :)
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think they can just STFU lol you are doing awesome. are these folks working out as much as you do? are they counting calories and making better food choices? I doubt it.

I won't lie, I do take a little magic pill to help. I take half of what is prescribed to me cuz that is what I am comfortable with. I also take a mulit vitamin, magnesium, calcium, b-12, and now thanks to you I also take cinnamon. I would love for someone to put me down for what I feel comfortable taking to help me get back to being healthy because I do work out almost every day of the week, I do prepare better food for myself, i am counting my calories and keeping them at a healthy number. Don't let these people get you down. You have people out here like me that look up to you and all you do. :)
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Nothing that you're taking is anything you couldn't get from diet alone, except for possibly the gingko biloba. I see no harm in your supplementation... if anything, you're supplying your body with what may be lacking in your diet.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you're losing because of the pills - they are supplements to your diet, not diet pills. There is, of course, a lot of debate about taking supplements - many doctors don't even believe you need them, but from what I understand, medical training doesn't spend a lot of time on nutrition. I say, do your research (which it sounds like you've done) and make wise choices. I currently take a multi, super B complex, and calcium/magnesium. In the past, I have taken many others depending on my needs.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I take almost the same vitamins as you hun.... with the exception of the green tea and though I do not take a cinnamon pill I do put it in my oatmeal everyday. I have gotten to where I eat at least my 1200 calories. I don't take any "diet pils" I take strictly all natural vitamins... The one exception to what you take is I also take calcium supplements as well as vitamin D... I do this because I have many women in my family who have osteoporosis (not sure if I spelled that correctly) and honestly I don't ever want to be where they are. I've also heard that having the extra calcium in my diet is a good thing. Calcium naturally helps keep the body from absorbing fats from food... but I still try to make the best choices I can in my foods. I sometimes cheat a little in the foods that I eat usually when I eat with friends or family I try not to do this more then once or twice a month. I've had some older women at work try to tell me I can't possibly be doing this healthy because of the inches I am losing. I tend to have very active days outside work not always actual work outs but honestly they mine as well be with the amount of calories I burn doing them. I got so frustrated with one of them I told her you know I'm sorry you're not liking my weight loss but I've talked to my doctor about the vitamins I am taking... as well as what approach foodwise I am doing prior to me actually changing any of my daily goals like my fiber intake, calories, carbs, and proteins. I eat for the most part nice lean proteins... usually my protein intake is higher then what MFP suggest for me, my fiber intake tends to be higher these days to as I often eat whole grains in place of simple carbs, I eat more veggies now then I have in the last 10 years. I watch every little thing I eat and hold myself accountable for it. One of my favorite sayings, learned from my grandmother and great grandmother that I often tell critical people these days You kow if you can't say anything nice and want to judge don't bother to talk to me at all. I don't mind critcism as long as they think or research what they are criticizing me about. I have an old fashioned doctor and trust me when I say he's against as many unnatural cures for health issues as he is for meds for things that there is no other solution for. I love going to him because if he thinks something is unsafe Oh bet me when I say he chews me out. When he weighed me in at my top weight... he flat out told me Do you want to die at a young age for your family.... do you want chronic health issues like your mom because if you continue to do nothing about your weight that's where you are headed.
    You're doing a great job... Don't let them get to you.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...I've been sittin here close to tears all morning. I used to take calcuim when I was pregnant with my 3rd child but I got a kidney stone from it so I stopped. I do drink 2 big glasses of milk daily though. I appreciate everyone for their support and words. Somedays, its just what we need to push thru one more day. Thank you so much!!!